Do people enjoy their expensive bikes more than their cheap ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I tend to buy more expensive things, of all types of items, but then expect to keep them for a long time. It’s all about build quality, aesthetics and the thought that has gone into each thing.

There's nothing at all wrong with buying expensive, high quality stuff, so long as it is genuine good value and not just expensive because of marketing hype, brand snobbery, or short-term fashion.

Johnno260

Veteran
As someone else said the value of something is down to the individual my Ride-400 to me represents a large spend, but to others it’s small fry.

I don’t resent others their investment in higher value bikes each to there own, if you can afford it and it makes you happy then great.

If a £50 EBay bike makes you happy and keeps you fit then equally great.

I happen to get the previous seasons or older clothes to get more value and I also buy stuff out of season as well.

bpsmith

Veteran
As someone else said the value of something is down to the individual my Ride-400 to me represents a large spend, but to others it’s small fry.

I don’t resent others their investment in higher value bikes each to there own, if you can afford it and it makes you happy then great.

If a £50 EBay bike makes you happy and keeps you fit then equally great.

I happen to get the previous seasons or older clothes to get more value and I also buy stuff out of season as well.
Spot on viewpoint. Everyone should enjoy what they work hard to attain. It’s not about anyone else.

Buying out of season is how I afford the kit I wear. It’s phenomenal how much can be saved and the best designs look fresh year on year, despite their age.

Tim Hall

There's nothing at all wrong with buying expensive, high quality stuff, so long as it is genuine good value and not just expensive because of marketing hype, brand snobbery, or short-term fashion.
Why does the reason they spent shed loads of money on something make a difference? More to the point, how do you know the reason they've spent oodles of cash on an expensive bike/hat/watch/pen/consumer durable? Do you give them a 10 point questionnaire? They're not robbing you to get the money, so it has no effect on you. They can buy an allegedly expensive bike for whatever reason they like. This might explain it a bit.

Buying out of season is how I afford the kit I wear. It’s phenomenal how much can be saved and the best designs look fresh year on year, despite their age.

As of course the wondrous "found a bargain do tell" thread continuously proves. Such is the wonder of supposed fashion/global annual overproduction. The best advice I'd give to any new cyclist is to buy the basics, avoid the temptation to keep buying supposedly fractionally better wonder lights (before you know it you will have a box full) and just keep an eye on the thread. Always makes me think of the old phrase about sitting by the river and watching the corpses of your enemies float past. Sit there, keep pedaling in the meantime, and most things you need will float onto view.

Johnno260

Veteran
Nothing wrong with buying the good stuff on clearance. :biggrin:

I do it all the time, I got some Endura SL bibs for £39.99 online fantastic price and really good kit.

My wife bought me a cycology jersey, I wouldn’t buy one myself but it’s a nice jersey.

I got an Endura jacket cheap as I dropped some beers into the LBS at Christmas to say thanks for help during the year, it was end of line and he offered to me cheap as a ty for the beers.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I bought a cheapish bike "for winter" I hated riding it. I got to mid December before I capitulated and went back to commuting on my so called best bike.

I don't think it was the price it just didn't suit me.

Luckily my eldest daughter loves it so found a home for it.

My best bike felt like a Ferrari after two months slogging on the winter bike.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Last Tuesday I went on the Club training ride with my usual group, got battered and dropped back to the following slower group. I was on my winter bike.

Somewhat unhappy with this I got my summer bike out for the Thursday hilly training run and I was back on the pace. On Sunday I went out with the group which I’d been dropped from on Tuesday. We did 85 miles, 4700 feet at 15.3avg. I felt like I was dancing.

I’m absolutely convinced that a better bike helps the rider get more from themselves and the bike. My summer bike feels like an extension of my body.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As of course the wondrous "found a bargain do tell" thread continuously proves. Such is the wonder of supposed fashion/global annual overproduction. The best advice I'd give to any new cyclist is to buy the basics, avoid the temptation to keep buying supposedly fractionally better wonder lights (before you know it you will have a box full) and just keep an eye on the thread. Always makes me think of the old phrase about sitting by the river and watching the corpses of your enemies float past. Sit there, keep pedaling in the meantime, and most things you need will float onto view.
Except for flipping Merino tops, lately. No bargains on those for ages IIRC.

Except for flipping Merino tops, lately. No bargains on those for ages IIRC.
Good merino base layers regularly at aldi for £15 or so. They do tops as well though never yet used one on the bike. Also have a nice aldi "motorbike" top in merino though I use that as streetwear.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Decathlon? Not bought one for a while but they are my go-to place for base layers.
No branch here and seems like only T-shirts online there at the moment, which itself seems very odd. I'd rather a top than oversizing a base layer to use as a top, too. Anyway, OT - should I post it as a wanted or as a question to "Found a bargain?" Answers on a PM please.

Went out on my best bike for the first time since November at the weekend - much more fun - average speed well up as well.

However there is something hardcore about my 2nd bike - a 2nd hand giant defy, which I commute and go out on, in all kinds of shite - although its not my best bike - I kind of still enjoy it for all the crap I throw at it and its never let me down...

Top Bottom