Do people like to grind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bondirob

Just to show how evenly matched most cyclists are, my PB is 36 seconds better than yours (with a tailwind I will admit)....but I'm 1,100 places above on the leaderboard. There must be a heck of a lot of folk grinding/spinning it up at our pace

Interesting pacing thing....you're 30 seconds faster than me on the hairpin section where I try to hold a bit in reserve. I'm a minute quicker on the long drag after that up to the summit

Tbh I never thought much about pace I was pretty much maxed out the whole way.
I'm going to stick a 36 or 34 cassette on whichever works out cheaper and compare times by way of an experiment I'm convinced I'll be faster with a lower gear

bigjim

Legendary Member
I remember reading that in his early days Armstrong was grinder. So was his arch rival Ulrich. Armstrong was trained to spin in order to beat Ulrich in which he was successful. Yea, yea before anybody mentions the better drugs, blah, blah. But this was an example of how spinning may benefit the climber. I wonder if you require much better lung capacity and stamina to spin well for a long time?

OP
OP
B

bondirob

Well your times blew mine away so I don't know what all the fuss is about :laugh:

PS you set off just a stones throw from my house as well!

I'm not worried about how fast I went up there just the fact that I had to grind to do it when I could have been spinning with the right gears.
I'd promised myself I was riding up there and was going ride from home but was running out of time before the school run so I chucked the bike in the van and set from where I did.

Top Bottom