Do the pro's really urinate whilst still riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Try asking one, and the respose may well be "why do you want to know?". In the same way that men know what to do, so do women.

Nothing more or less than idle curiosity. Going to the loo is something we all do and as such is probably the most that I will ever have in common with a top athlete. Knowing how they deal with the things we all have to deal with is as close as I will come to living the dream.

fimm

Veteran
Go on to a triathlon forum like TriTalk and do a search for "peeing on the bike" and you'll find some pretty detailed advice! Even amateurs taking part in long distance triathlon events may choose to pee on the bike - if you are going for a time (what ever that time might be) then time not spent stopped is time saved... I have tried to do it, but never managed to release and eventually had to admit defeat and stop... The advantage triathletes have is that a trisuit has much less padding than conventional cycle shorts.
I've read a blog entry from a female pro cyclist (not a well-known one) who said that she & her fellow pros would pee their shorts if required. I also read a different blog entry from another female which recommended pulling one leg of your shorts wide so you could go without pulling the shorts down (this was if you had time to stop and get off the bike) - I keep meaning to try that out sometime.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Even amateurs taking part in long distance triathlon events may choose to pee on the bike - if you are going for a time (what ever that time might be) then time not spent stopped is time saved.

I've done it. It's pretty easy really and there aren't crowds of spectators in normal tri events, so as long as you aren't within spraying distance of anyone else, it's fine and really quite liberating too.

Hip Priest

Veteran
My old club captain used to tell us a story about Robert Millar crapping into his race cap whilst on the move (in the Milk Race, I think) and throwing it into a hedge... I have no idea how true it was, but it was certainly told with conviction!

Read the first few pages of Slaying the Badger for a similar, slightly more graphic tale from the career of Greg LeMond!

Chutzpah

Über Member
The other day in the tour I saw the "rider pushing another who was urinating", only they were on completely different teams!

Personally, I'm more jealous that they are able to do it in the first place *cough*

oldroadman

Veteran

oldroadman

Veteran
The other day in the tour I saw the "rider pushing another who was urinating", only they were on completely different teams!

Personally, I'm more jealous that they are able to do it in the first place *cough*

It happens, you just know who your mates are even when you are on different teams. Besides, little favours given and returned is part of peloton protocol, which makes things easier and safer for everyone.

Top Bottom