Do you avoid road kill,cow muck and the like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try cycling in Nigeria (actually don't....) and you'll find human roadkill, some so flattened by the traffic that you could roll them up like a rug.

If road kill isn't too mashed up I stop & move it to the nearest place it'll deteriorate without causing a problem...I hate seeing dead stuff on the road, & I don't like moving the carcasses but it just seems like the right thing to do.
I remember a TV programme recently where a touring cyclist decided to support his UK trip by foraging for food en route - including using road kill for the pot when it was in a fit state. I suppose if you know what you're doing...!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Actually I'm increasingly aware of the possibility of hitting a deer in our part of the world. A few months ago my cycling buddy and I had to brake very hard to avoid two deer, which jumped over the fence into the road in front of us - a driver coming up the hill towards us also had to brake sharply. Last week driving to work I missed a deer by a foot, only because it saw my car and hesitated in its suicidal dash across the road. Even a small deer would knock you off your bike and I dread to think what would happen if you hit one while doing 45 mph down a hill.

GBC

Veteran
It's not the soft tissue stuff that would bother me, more the broken bones that are more than capable of causing tyre mishaps. You could end up in the unenviable situation of having to scrape week old innards off the tyre before fixing the mishap.

Avoid them every time!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Once rode over some entrails, thought I'd missed. Wasn't for a day or two later that there was a horrible stench coming from the bike - an small piece of entrails had stuck to the rear of the seat tube - blurgh.

Cow poo - make sure your mate in-front avoids riding through it - I got sprayed down both arms, in the mouth and my face - great.

Oh and don't think it's a great idea to draft a huge tractor pulling a big trailer of manure doing 30 mph for a few miles. Once we pulled off, we realised how bad we stank of cow poo.

KateK

I'm only joking about mudguards being "embarrassing".;) They're a good thing to have and sometimes i wish i had them, but if the road bike Stazi caught me i'd be in serious trouble!!:stop:

I've got mudguards, a steel pannier rack and a bell, oh and steel wheels and a chain guard. And a bungee. And a heavy duty bike lock. And a pannier. oh yes! And I did 150 miles on it last week

Davidc

Guru
Difficult to avoid poo altogether round here, just do my best. You'd have to be crazy to deliberately ride straight through it or over road kill.

Took my mudguards off last time I did a thorough clean and washed them - yuk, they stank. Probably good for the lawn though.

Jonathing

Über Member
I find a bunny hop pretty useful for unexpected road debris. I used one to avoid a squashed rabbit on my way home the other day. There seemed to be poetry in it.

Top Bottom