Do you believe in Evolution?

Do you believe in Evolution?

• Yes.

Votes: 97 95.1%
  • No.

Votes: 5 4.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Did god make Shimano or Campag? He/She couldn't have made both :biggrin:

Why not, God has no reason to be infallible, good or even decisive. Anyway, perhaps the rivalry between the two camps keeps him/her amused :tongue:

paddy01

1) Evolution does not require belief. You can say you think the Theory (capital T when used to refer to scientific Theory) is wrong and provide evidence to support it but saying you don't believe in it is nonsensical.

2) Evolution cannot be compared to creationism, they're dealing with 2 different things, how it all began and what happened next.

Accepting evolution as the currently most likely explanation for changes observed over time does not preclude a belief in a deity.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Do I believe in Evolution was the question.

Well it's not a religion it's a scientific theory which is based on evidence and has so far been verified by predictions and observations. However, as a scientific theory, it can be wrong. So far nothing has come close to showing that the theory is wrong. Indeed one of the problems for evolution was that there was no biological mechanism for it to operate. DNA and genetics have provided that mechanism and indeed can be manipulated to evolve new organisms.

What is the opposing scientific theory? There isn't one. But there is religion and bad science is used to "get the answer we want". That "answer we want" is the Bible one. But that isn't science and isn't a scientific theory of anything. Believe it if you must. Personally, with no evidence to back it up, I can't support it as anything other than an emotional response to the human condition.

So I don't "believe" in evolution. I support the theory as correct at the present state of knowledge. As for the other - it's cr&p.

Someone above said that they don't care about those who don't "believe" evolution. But you should. These folks vote and have politicians who they support who can invade Iraq on a pretext as no real evidence is required to justify the correctness of their actions. Beware those who act on blind faith and not on rationally analysed evidence. These folks can be very dangerous indeed.

atbman

Veteran
My answer to the weasel Intelligent Design types, is, "If I am the product of intelligent design, a) why do men have nipples and (c) why did God tell the Jews the foreskin had been a terrible cockup"

As for the argument about using the God idea to fill in where we don't yet have answers, well, that's the old God of the Gaps argument. Unfortunately, the gaps have been getting fewer and farther apart as science has been able to explain more and more.

My own theory is that darkness moved on the face of the void and all was nothingness and God saw that there was nowhere to ride a bike, so god said, "Let there be light and there was light", and you could see for miles, but still there was nowhere to ride a bike. So created he the world but had to wait for millions of years until a species evolved that was intelligent enough to invent the bicycle. Unfortunately, they also went on to invent the motor vehicle, so God has created Global Warming to wipe us out and start again.

Yours in faith, founder and chief rabbinical archbishoprical ayatollah of the Church of Ineffable Numptiness (and treasurer)

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

1) Evolution does not require belief. You can say you think the Theory (capital T when used to refer to scientific Theory) is wrong and provide evidence to support it but saying you don't believe in it is nonsensical.

2) Evolution cannot be compared to creationism, they're dealing with 2 different things, how it all began and what happened next.

Accepting evolution as the currently most likely explanation for changes observed over time does not preclude a belief in a deity.
This rally was meant to be an extremely simple thread, hence why I posted in cafe. Entirely based on the previously mentioned stats, showing a large percentage of people from the UK an America not accepting the theory of evolution...

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I've always presumed that the majority of people believe in evolution, with a few insane individuals believing otherwise (creationism)... I have recently read Richard Dawkins, 'The Greatest Show on Earth', which highlights the worrying figures which show many people throughout America and the UK do not believe in evolution. I've not made this a public poll, o no need to worry about others knowing your answers.

I'm about halfway through that book just now.

Facinating stuff.

wafflycat

read the Bible it's more facinating

The bible has some damn good yarns in it. Epic stuff. Of course that does not mean that it's the definitive 'word of god' considering how it's been tampered with over the generations about what to include, what not to include, what gospels are 'acceptable' what aren't.. the different translations.. differing interpretations...

TVC

I'm interested to know: Christianity, Judaism and Islam all worship the same God who created 'everything' about six thousand years ago. Given how massively different they all now interpret the 'word of God' then how long is it before he gets everyone back together and says "Now look lads, this isn't quite what I meant".

Now further, a couple of thousand years in he noticed that things were going a bit wrong, so he washed the place clean and started again with one family in a big boat. So given the reasons he cleansed the Earth then, aren't we well over due for another soaking the way things are now?

Finally, if you think Roswell is a pretty big hoax, then the dinosaurs are the universes biggest wind up.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Evolution is believable but not completely proven, although that is likely to change with time as evidence of evolution in action accrues. There are enough ongoing studies to almost guarantee this.

There is no evidence whatsoever for intelligent design i.e. there are no observations which even hint at a process in action. That doesn't mean nobody should look but until ID can come up with 1/10 th of the evidence that there is for evolution, it is highly unlikely that intelligent, educated people will take it seriously.

Top Bottom