Do you believe in Evolution?

Do you believe in Evolution?

• Yes.

Votes: 97 95.1%
  • No.

Votes: 5 4.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Three reasons why it wasn't evolution.

1/ Mitrochondial DNA ancestral predictions put the 'First' Humans in SE Africa approximately 150,000 years ago. Upright walking Hominids were around for 1.5 million years prior to that. After 50,000 generations of upright walking hominids, why is it that in the 21[sup]st[/sup] century AD, the human baby is born 'premature' with a semi developed cranium?

Evolution should have selectively corrected the shape of the female's pelvic girdle to enable the painless birth of a fully developed infant.

2/ The dinosaur had a brain the size of a walnut, and inhabited the Earth for 160 million years until a catastrophic natural disaster caused 99% extinction.

The Tiger has a brain the size of a tennis ball and has roamed the jungle quite happily, feeding and reproducing without causing much damage to its environment.

The human cerebral cortex is so large, only 14% of it is required for the human being to get to a situation where complete global annihilation is possible. Throughout history, infamous men have strived to become 'rulers of the whole Earth' and practiced genocide on other cultures.

Evolution would have caused the human brain to grow at a rate 'applicable to its needs', not to a size where 85% of it is redundant.

3/ Before approximately 12,000 years ago, upright walking hominid existence was primarily Cro-Magnon. All of a sudden, humans learned how to practice animal husbandry and food crop cultivation.

Compared with the previous 1.5 million years of hunting and gathering, 6,000 years between 'the agricultural revolution' and language, buildings, books, schools, mathematics and astronomy is a far too steep curve in 'Evolutionary terms'.

Malachite, copper ore requires a smelting temperature of 1183 deg C. Copper was being smelted 5,000 years ago by our ancestors in the near east. 1183 deg C is about the exhaust temperature of a jet engine. The core temperature of an open hearth is about 650 deg C. At 650 deg C, Malachite is slightly discoloured but no copper is precipitated. Was is purely by accident that early civilisation designed a bellows air force system to raise the furnace temperature enough to smelt copper?

Evolution would have discarded the charred stones as 'burned rubble'.

Later... Three reasons to disprove the existance of God.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Clearly you are a devout believer, Numbnuts (not a phrase I thought I'd ever type BTW)

I’m far from devout Catholic, OK I believe, but also I do question my own faith when I read the Bible i.e. the reading in church ( I have read parts of the Bible, but never the whole book I must do it one day/ year), I do find some text in the Bible unbelievable and I know the Bible has had a lot of text removed and possibly added over the years, but the fundamental laws of God has always been the same and that is what I base my life on.
Many of the reading were written some 50-60 years after the event and when I read - and Jesus said ....someone must have written this down or made it up, I can’t remember what I had for dinner last week and I’m sure nether can they you can’t take the Bible as being 100% accurate and this is were I find it hard to believe in, but as a good Catholic I continue to go to church every week in hoping for salvation.

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

I’m far from devout Catholic, OK I believe, but also I do question my own faith when I read the Bible i.e. the reading in church ( I have read parts of the Bible, but never the whole book I must do it one day/ year), I do find some text in the Bible unbelievable and I know the Bible has had a lot of text removed and possibly added over the years, but the fundamental laws of God has always been the same and that is what I base my life on.
Many of the reading were written some 50-60 years after the event and when I read - and Jesus said ....someone must have written this down or made it up, I can’t remember what I had for dinner last week and I’m sure nether can they you can’t take the Bible as being 100% accurate and this is were I find it hard to believe in, but as a good Catholic I continue to go to church every week in hoping for salvation.
Major figure from the church accept evolution though, including bishops.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Three reasons why it wasn't evolution.

1/ Mitrochondial DNA ancestral predictions put the 'First' Humans in SE Africa approximately 150,000 years ago. Upright walking Hominids were around for 1.5 million years prior to that. After 50,000 generations of upright walking hominids, why is it that in the 21[sup]st[/sup] century AD, the human baby is born 'premature' with a semi developed cranium?

Evolution should have selectively corrected the shape of the female's pelvic girdle to enable the painless birth of a fully developed infant.

2/ The dinosaur had a brain the size of a walnut, and inhabited the Earth for 160 million years until a catastrophic natural disaster caused 99% extinction.

The Tiger has a brain the size of a tennis ball and has roamed the jungle quite happily, feeding and reproducing without causing much damage to its environment.

The human cerebral cortex is so large, only 14% of it is required for the human being to get to a situation where complete global annihilation is possible. Throughout history, infamous men have strived to become 'rulers of the whole Earth' and practiced genocide on other cultures.

Evolution would have caused the human brain to grow at a rate 'applicable to its needs', not to a size where 85% of it is redundant.

3/ Before approximately 12,000 years ago, upright walking hominid existence was primarily Cro-Magnon. All of a sudden, humans learned how to practice animal husbandry and food crop cultivation.

Compared with the previous 1.5 million years of hunting and gathering, 6,000 years between 'the agricultural revolution' and language, buildings, books, schools, mathematics and astronomy is a far too steep curve in 'Evolutionary terms'.

Malachite, copper ore requires a smelting temperature of 1183 deg C. Copper was being smelted 5,000 years ago by our ancestors in the near east. 1183 deg C is about the exhaust temperature of a jet engine. The core temperature of an open hearth is about 650 deg C. At 650 deg C, Malachite is slightly discoloured but no copper is precipitated. Was is purely by accident that early civilisation designed a bellows air force system to raise the furnace temperature enough to smelt copper?

Evolution would have discarded the charred stones as 'burned rubble'.

Later... Three reasons to disprove the existance of God.

Not sure if you're being serious, but:

1/ Evolution is not concerned with perfection, merely what works. There may be no scope for the pelvic girdle to expand without causing other detrimental effects (inability to walk far for example) which would adversely affect reproductive success.

2/ I'm pretty sure it's a myth that we only use 14% (I'd always heard it was 10%) of our brain. Have you got a proper source for this? Not sure what the point about dictators had to do with anything.

3/ Evolution doesn't have much to do with inventions. You could take a child born 20,000 years ago and if raised in modern times it would be indistinguishable in terms of development and intelligence (maybe a bit on the short side). Plus, define "all of a sudden" - agriculture and farming developed over several thousand years. The advances in copper smelting are unknown, but there is speculation that it was done in a pottery kiln (which would be hot enough).

Anyway, all this is an argument from incredulity fallacy: "I personally cannot conceive how this happened, therefore God did it."
It's like saying that you can't work out how the Egyptians built the pyramids, therefore it was aliens.

jimboalee

Three reasons why God does not exist.

1/ Genesis 1 tells us God created the Heavens and the Earth, the land, the seas, the plants, the animals and man in his likeness.

Why?

2/ Right at the beginning of Genesis 1, God creates the Heavens and the Earth. What it doesn't say is that he left a ring of broken rubble between Mars and Jupiter, which we now call The Asteroid Belt.

Messy bastard, just like my plumber.

3/ God planted the Garden of Eden. He placed in it the tree of knowledge and instructed Adam and Eve NOT to eat from it. Of course they were tempted by the serpant and he banished them from the garden to toil in the field, and committed Woman to painful childbirth for ever.

That's a bit of a 'round-about' tale to explain why a snake has no legs, women have painful childbirth and man has to work for a living.

Seems to me this God thingy is some made up clap-trap to scare the ignorant peasants into handing over their wonga.

Later…. Other hypotheses…

tyred

Legendary Member
I was brought up very much in a Christian tradition (Presbyterian), learned huge chunks of scripture in Sunday school but I have never believed the story of creation in the Bible. Even our minister at that time when I was attending Sunday school said the book of Genesis was never anything more than an effort by the learned men of the time to give the people some sort of explanation and if you read carefully, the first two chapters of Genesis contain two different stories of creation, with Chapter 1 being a more recent addition.

I would not describe myself as Christian but I do believe (or at least like to think) that there is a God of some sort. Strong spiritual beliefs have helped many while they were in difficult circumstances and it is nice to think there is some sort of afterlife. Many will say I'm stupid for thinking that but it makes me feel happier to believe that so that's all that matters to me.

With regards to creation/evolution, I don't believe in creation as described in the Bible but particularily care either way. I live now, and how the earth was created has no impact whatsoever on my day to day life and people are free to believe what they want and it will make no difference whatsoever.

jimboalee

Three reasons why humans think they are so clever, but they are really as thick as shoot.

1/ Some devoutly believe in a story book from a long time ago before science.

2/ Some dedicatedly believe they are the result of continuous improvement by 'natural selection'.

3/ They argue about it.

Well said Tyred. I don't care either way either.

The truth, and who knows it anyway? may be so dreadful that Genesis was written how it was written purely so children would get to sleep at night.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
how the earth was created has no impact whatsoever on my day to day life and people are free to believe what they want and it will make no difference whatsoever.

It does matter when people are trying to get Evolution banned from school lessons because it disagrees with a literal interpretation of the Bible. It matters a lot.

tyred

Legendary Member
It does matter when people are trying to get Evolution banned from school lessons because it disagrees with a literal interpretation of the Bible. It matters a lot.

Would you be in favour of banning the teaching of the Bible?

It makes no real difference. When all the other problems in the world have been solved, we can then worry of this minor matter.

jimboalee

There are three types of people. The 'Thinkers', 'Doers' and the useless other third.

The 'Thinkers' open their mind to alternative theories and ask "Why?"

The 'Doers' do as the name implies, they "do" without question and very obediently.

The 'useless other third' were programmed to crash on Earth. That's the dreadful truth.

Notice the number 3 keeps cropping up. The number of points in an equilateral triangle. Two equilateral triangles constitutes the 'Star of David', thus giving it six points.

Six times the number of fingers and thumbs we have, gives sixty. The number of degrees in each corner of that equilateral triangle.

Sixty times six is three hundred and sixty, the number of degrees in the whole circle of the compass.

6*10*6*10*6*10*6*10*6*10*6 = 4,665,600,000 The approximate number of orbits this planet has made since its ( scientific ) creation.

In the equation, the number 6 appears 6 times. The six days of creation. ( One 'day' is 777,600,000 orbits )

The first 'civilisation' in Sumaria used the Sexagesimal ( base 60 ) counting system. How weird.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Whether you believe in an almighty greater or a random set of events that brought this word into being, that's 'faith' and can not be proven by science one way or the other. I chose to believe in an almighty creator and I would respect anyone who believes otherwise. As for 'evolution', that's a scientific theory which seems to be backed by much good evidence. Personally I don't have a problem with believing in an almighty creator and accepting evolution, the conflict (as I see it) comes from those (both creationists and evolutionists) who miss-understand the purpose of the bible. The bible is not a single book, but rather a library of books and not all those books are historical accounts. Some books are historical accounts, but others contain music, poetry, rules, advise, news, predictions, messages and stories etc. The only thing that links these books is they tell the truth about God. Genesis falls into the category of a story book which tells how God created everything and how mankind then turned away from God. Genesis was never intended to be more than a story book and it was certainly never intended to give a historical account with timescales etc. So whether or not you believe in an almighty greater, Genesis has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not evolution occurs over time.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Shaun, good luck to you and all that, but why did you 'choose' to believe in an almighty creator? Could you just as easily have chosen to believe in a different God or gods?

2Loose

Guru
Genesis was never intended to be more than a story book and it was certainly never intended to give a historical account with timescales etc. So whether or not you believe in an almighty greater, Genesis has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not evolution occurs over time.

What makes you believe Genesis is merely a story book, but other books in the bible are not? Seems odd to believe some bits, but not others.
Kind of like taking the bits of religion you like, but discarding the bits you don't.

I do think the Bible was a great guide for 'how to get on with your fellow humans' in a time without much civil structure though.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Would you be in favour of banning the teaching of the Bible?

It makes no real difference. When all the other problems in the world have been solved, we can then worry of this minor matter.

Of course not, as long as it's in RE and not science lessons.

Top Bottom