Do you cycle for or at least partly for Enviromental reasons ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by BADGER.BRAD, 31 Dec 2018.

?
  1. Fully

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Partly

76 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Not at all

87 vote(s)
    53.0%
  1. BADGER.BRAD

BADGER.BRAD Veteran

I would have to say partly for my answers,I now cycle for many reasons, I started serious cycling for cost reasons as a student ( about 30 years ago but then realized how much I enjoyed it, but now it's a mix of Mental/ physical health benefits, cost, environmental and the fact I love being outside.I do own a small motorcycle which I very rarely use and a car as well.

2. No. I gave up my car for environmental reasons, I cycle to get places.

3. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Not really. I am a lifelong cyclist and just love being on the bike. I use the bike where I can but I do not for instance load up the panniers and do multiple food shops with panniers. Mostly though I move around locally by bike. I do roughly twice as much mileage on the bike as car with the car being used for trips away, visits to distant relatives.

I do get frustrated with how hard it can be to take your bike with you on the train at times. There are trips I would do by bike and train instead of car if there was some joined up thinking in that area.

I used about a tank of fuel once every 8 weeks

mustang1 and mjr like this.
  4. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

Big on the environment, but sadly my riding is far from carbon neutral - I drive an old diesel van to the beginning of nearly ever ride I do. probably out of about 100 mile riding last week, I would have drove about 70. Not good I know
    Don't think I have ever saved a journey by cycling.
    And all that riding just means I also consume very large amounts of food, and that's not good for the planet either.
    And it will probably give me a long life, which means I will consume for even longer

my cycling = environmental negative
    :sad:

5. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Nope. I ride a bike made from plastics and alloys, the production of which pollutes at every stage of the process so I'm not conceited or deluded enough to pretend my bike is environmentally sound.

mustang1, pauldavid and BudgieBike like this.
  6. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

Thinking about it, I suppose there's four reasons why I sometimes ride a bike rather than use a different form of transport.
    1) It's enjoyable, so long as the weather is half decent anyway.
    2) I get more exercise than I would otherwise, which allows me to eat and drink what I really like, and not rabbit food.
    3) Convenience, it's door-to-door and can be the quickest way of going relatively short distances.
    4) The cost of cycling is bugger all, at least it is the way I do it. Run cheap hack bikes, recycled donor parts, DIY maintenance.

Saving the planet doesn't even come into it. I couldn't care less about global warming, emissions etc.

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I cycle only because I enjoy riding a bike. I don't even cycle for fitness now, although obviously when I raced I trained to get fit for racing.

The fitness cycling brings is a nice by product of riding a bike.

12boy, Brandane, Kempstonian and 5 others like this.
  8. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

No.

I ride the bike because I enjoy it, for the exercise and because it's (marginally) cheaper than therapy.

I do virtually zero utility cycling as none of my bikes are suited to it and I wouldn't leave them unattended anywhere for any length of time, no matter how good the locks or insurance.

mustang1, Brandane, Alan O and 2 others like this.
  9. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

No. I use my car very infrequently, but I don't cycle instead. I use public transport or walk.

My cycling is just for fun.

Alan O and NorthernDave like this.
  10. Jimidh

Jimidh Über Member

No I ride my bikes because I love riding bikes.

I also drive a diesel 4x4 and love eating meat and taking foreign holidays so i’m no eco-warrior.

I do sort out my recycling though!!

Truth, Brandane, Alan O and 2 others like this.
  11. flake99please

flake99please Make mine a '99'

I sold my car as it wasn’t being used enough to warrant the cost of ownership (sub 1000 miles per year).

I commute to work because it’s quicker to do so, than to walk to the bus stop that I would need to get to work.

I cycle (out of work hours) purely for my enjoyment. I haven’t given the environmental aspect of my cycling any consideration whatsoever.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  12. Banjo

Banjo Fuelled with Jelly Babies

In comparison to a car a bike is extremely environmentally friendly ,I don't follow the conceited /deluded bit at all.

glasgowcyclist and BrumJim like this.
  13. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

I tell myself it's partly a green thing, but really it's a money saver. But that doesn't work either since I keep spending money on bikes and bike bits. So I do it to keep fit, keep the legs working, and so that I can eat whatever I like and not worry about it.

14. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

I read somewhere that the carbon footprint of manufacturing a bike is approximately the carbon footprint of commuting by car for four weeks. I also read that approx half the carbon footprint of a car is in its manufacture.

mustang1, mickle and Blue Hills like this.
  15. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

I am a fair weather cyclist so I need my car and never feel guilty about using it.

Banjo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice