Do you cycle for or at least partly for Enviromental reasons ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by BADGER.BRAD, 31 Dec 2018.

?
  1. Fully

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Partly

76 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Not at all

87 vote(s)
    53.0%
  1. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

There's much to love about the UK ..
    But so frustrating when we don't seem able to work together on stuff like an integrated transport system, or environmental controls.
    Almost like we are resolutely proud of our plucky British ability to royally fekk things right up...And will defend our right so to do, til our last breath of carbon monoxide.

The price and connectivity of trains and buses on the continent is envy inducing.

Just keep pedalling then.. Don't stop to shop.
    Unless it's for buns - buns are always allowed :smile:

@Andy in Germany
    Ps what is a bakfiets please... Could I get a fleet of them for delivering vegetables??

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
    Pat "5mph" and Andy in Germany like this.
  2. confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Über Member

This is what happens when profit and greed are put before every other useful metric of human success, happiness and contentment. That not to say a little profit, or greed are bad motivators, but we are incredibly myopic about them.

Bakfiets are cargo bikes.

3. This is a Bakfiets:

dsc_7626.jpg

And you can carry all manner of things in them:

rubbish_onna_bakfiets.jpg

bed_by_bak.jpg

So vegetable delivery would be well within their capabilities.

You could even use the Bakfiets as a shop:

fartradebak.jpg

Although from experience I recommend cleaning carefully first to remove any horse poo.

4. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Evidence is that cyclists shop more than motorists (not that many shopkeepers seem to accept that). It's probably because we're not stuck in traffic as much or wasting money fuelling and serving our vehicles.

Pat "5mph" and Andy in Germany like this.
  5. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Are they easy to balance fully loaded? My worry would be tipping over! I have seen them as three wheelers which look a bit more stable

mudsticks likes this.
  6. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Oh no - and now you have inflamed my lusting for a new thing- more consumerist desires :rolleyes:

Beware the unintended consequence etc etc .

Though i reckon i could definitely justify that one as a 'business cost'

I reckon it would be great for the quads hefting one of those, fully loaded, up and down the Devon lanes.

And as you say you don't even have to unload at market .

Another seed of an idea sown - dang and blast this confounded internet thingy :stop:

7. anna_adam

anna_adam New Member

I am in the middle of both as when I initially started cycling, I used to ride to my university. But now since I'm employed, my cycling pattern is being compromised. Would love to cycle on daily basis, as it's a good exercise for the body along with fitness and health. Have to get back on track, hopefully soon!

8. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Yeah but we mostly buy food, and drink, and patronise tea shoppes, fuelling ourselves - and all that is exempt from moral prosecution :angel:

9. I know what you mean, but it's dead easy, in fact rather intuitively the faster/heavier it is the more it wants to stay upright: it's like trying to tip a gyroscope.

I only manage to tip it once, about ten years ago, just after buying it: I ran against a low kerbstone with that small front wheel and tipped it over. It has to be said, once it starts to tip it is very hard to stop.

The one I own comes from workcycles in Amsterdam and thy are built like tanks. Mine cost €2000 ten years ago and about a tenth of that since for maintenance.

Pat "5mph" and Alan O like this.
  10. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SlwV7mtsmw

That's doubly silly because not using the car will almost always wear the new gold plated zingding spliffer less than using it.

They probably won't unless either cars become more efficient (because they can upgrade more quickly than private owners) or the clubs make less profit (possibly by co-ops like CoCars taking over - any profit is returned to the users) but what they are is more predictable. No sudden £400 lump sum required to supply and fit, say, a rear shock.

Dogtrousers and Andy in Germany like this.
  11. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Better the Devil you know maybe??
    Once you've replaced all the sprocket wobblers, and left threaded valve compression differentials.. Then you've pretty much got yourself a new car.

Having said that, there's also throwing good money after bad...

In my book once the body work is starting to cost big time, then its fond farewells.

A couple of years back. I was really lucky.
    My ancient estate car was going to cost £500 to get thru Mot.. Neither too much, nor too little, to be able to make a decisive call on repairs.

Then, someone spotted me a bargain hatchback for £250 - 10 months mot,

And then unbelievably I sold the engine out of the old one for £180.

With cheaper tax and insurance for a smaller car, which was all I needed, I felt like a proper winner for once..

Just occasionally, things land sunny-side up.. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice