Do you cycle for or at least partly for Enviromental reasons ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by BADGER.BRAD, 31 Dec 2018.

?
  1. Fully

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Partly

76 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Not at all

87 vote(s)
    53.0%
  1. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

It just has..
    I mean, do you see anyone here arguing??? :rolleyes:

Sorry something went wrong with my quoting your bit.. Might try to fix it. Will probs break it worse.. :blush:

booze and cake likes this.
  2. booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

I worked in tobacco control for a few years in the past, so know how much of a nest of vipers the whole lobbying thing is, and how low mega-corp will go to protect its interests. Its interests of course being profit, the deaths of millions of people they weren't as bothered with.

Out of interest I just checked on google, and apparently there are 7.53 billion people on earth, and so far only 536 people have ever been into space. It takes a lot of fuel to get just one person into space. I'm guessing we already haven't got enough fuel for that, and our atmosphere would probably have burnt up in the early stages of the exodus [citation needed]. Not to mention the fact we still have not found anywhere we can go, or how to get there.

So we really should start looking after the place.

3. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

I'm thinking rocket fuel could be fairly eco-friendly ? (hydrogen and oxygen) and both of those could be created from a wind farm and some sea water?

although I guess it's a whole lot more complicated that that.

4. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Sorry, I don't think about Planet Earth when attempting to turn the cranks.

CarlP likes this.
  5. This mornings ride featured horizontal rain, wind varying between sidewind and head wind, so trying to turn bike sideways/having to pedal downhill, graduating to hail later, there was little fun factor. Today was entirely about looking after the environment.

I just wish it'd show a little gratitude...

6. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Well maybe if you showed some gratitude back?? :angel:

It's supplied you with gravity to keep your tyres on the road, a stable surface to ride on, oxygen to breathe, water to drink and grow the crops that supplied your muscles with energy to push the pedals.
    Not to mention a weathered subsoil, plus organic matter to grow those food crops, and medicines.. The nitrogen cycle that nourished them, and supports lots of other creatures and plants that make up a livable, biodiverse synergistic ecosystem...

Plus PE also supplied all the materials, ores, and fossil deposits that made your bike, and all the other stuff you own and use..

I guess the planet could be grateful for your contributions of excreta to add back fertility to the soil (after composting) but I reckon on balance you're doing pretty well out of the deal :rolleyes:

7. Humpf.

Ultimately it'll get all of me to help fertilize daisies. This morning makes me wonder if it's trying to speed that up.

8. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Nah - she's just giving you a chance to strengthen your resolve, and muscles :smile:

Is 'humpf' colloquial German for you're right "I am not worthy..." ?? :rolleyes:

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  9. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

I agree with the conclusion - it's a lot easier in urban areas - but I think it's unhelpful to use phrases like "realistically a car is must" because it accuses anyone living in places like that without access to cars (which there are always some) of being unrealistic when clearly they're not. IMO overstating it like that leads to politicians getting away with guff like "cars are essential" and implementing motoring supremacist policies. Cars may be very desirable, but it's a bit short of a must.

@12boy's location sounds like another kettle of fish. If reports of USA governments' attitude to mass transport and public transport are correct, plus critical services are only found in towns, access to a car in rural locations might almost be a must :sad:

10. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Reminds of the sign outside the excellent cake shop near Dalwhinnie distillery (similar to this):

planet_b.jpg

11. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Well exactly . So why do we carry on as if there is??

We can't really claim ignorance - all these problems have been common knowledge for decades.

I guess it's a collective case of the CBA''s... As my kids used to call it.

Combined with all the usual profit motive pushing us towards consumption..

I'd agree, it is very difficult to go car free in the country atm unless you are retired or have a job that doesn't involve any actual 'things'
    Public transport is woeful out here, and stupidly expensive.

I currently run a small car..
    And a slightly larger tractor.
    Try to minimise use of them.

Although. both run on diesel I'm afraid, but I'm sure they could have been hydrogen cell driven, years ago if the tech had been encouraged, not sat on, and fossil fuels were taxed at their actual real cost to the planet..

12. 12boy

12boy Über Member

We have too much stuff. Everybody needs to pare down what they have and to buy less in the future, starting with people other than me. The only exception is, of course, bicycles.

Alan O, Dogtrousers and mudsticks like this.
  13. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

I think most people feel this really, hence the 'decluttering' industry that has sprung up

I guess while 'stuff' is still so relatively cheap we will keep on buying - as humans we can't seem to resist shiny new, novel things.

Bikes are definitely exempt tho...
    When you're out riding a bike you're not shopping - much.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
    Andy in Germany likes this.
  14. I was repeatedly told I'd 'need' a car where I live now, that was fifteen (egads I'm old) years ago and thankfully I ignored the advice.

That said we have a public transport system and traffic free road network that while it isn't much by German standards is the sort of thing I used to dream of while waiting for a bus in the UK.

15. Thatr's where the smug ecological credentials of a Bakfiets fall down: I can carry more in that then most people manage in a compact car.

Pat "5mph" and raleighnut like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice