Do you cycle for or at least partly for Enviromental reasons ?

Do you ride a bicylcle for Enviromental reasons ?

• Fully

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Partly

Votes: 76 46.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 87 53.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This mornings ride featured horizontal rain, wind varying between sidewind and head wind, so trying to turn bike sideways/having to pedal downhill, graduating to hail later, there was little fun factor. Today was entirely about looking after the environment.

I just wish it'd show a little gratitude...

Well maybe if you showed some gratitude back?? :angel:

It's supplied you with gravity to keep your tyres on the road, a stable surface to ride on, oxygen to breathe, water to drink and grow the crops that supplied your muscles with energy to push the pedals.
Not to mention a weathered subsoil, plus organic matter to grow those food crops, and medicines.. The nitrogen cycle that nourished them, and supports lots of other creatures and plants that make up a livable, biodiverse synergistic ecosystem...

Plus PE also supplied all the materials, ores, and fossil deposits that made your bike, and all the other stuff you own and use..

I guess the planet could be grateful for your contributions of excreta to add back fertility to the soil (after composting) but I reckon on balance you're doing pretty well out of the deal :rolleyes:

Well maybe if you showed some gratitude back?? :angel:

It's supplied you with gravity to keep your tyres on the road, a stable surface to ride on, oxygen to breathe, water to drink and grow the crops that supplied your muscles with energy to push the pedals.
Not to mention a weathered subsoil, plus organic matter to grow those food crops, and medicines.. The nitrogen cycle that nourished them, and supports lots of other creatures and plants that make up a livable, biodiverse synergistic ecosystem...

Plus PE also supplied all the materials, ores, and fossil deposits that made your bike, and all the other stuff you own and use..

I guess the planet could be grateful for your contributions of excreta to add back fertility to the soil (after composting) but I reckon on balance you're doing pretty well out of the deal :rolleyes:

Humpf.

Ultimately it'll get all of me to help fertilize daisies. This morning makes me wonder if it's trying to speed that up.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Humpf.

Ultimately it'll get all of me to help fertilize daisies. This morning makes me wonder if it's trying to speed that up.

Nah - she's just giving you a chance to strengthen your resolve, and muscles :smile:

Is 'humpf' colloquial German for you're right "I am not worthy..." ?? :rolleyes:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Having said that, where my parents live in rural Mid Wales, 200 miles away from me, realistically a car is must. Public transport is sparse or non existent, there's not even a mobile phone signal, so going car-free even on this tiny little rock is a lot easier in some places than others.
I agree with the conclusion - it's a lot easier in urban areas - but I think it's unhelpful to use phrases like "realistically a car is must" because it accuses anyone living in places like that without access to cars (which there are always some) of being unrealistic when clearly they're not. IMO overstating it like that leads to politicians getting away with guff like "cars are essential" and implementing motoring supremacist policies. Cars may be very desirable, but it's a bit short of a must.

@12boy's location sounds like another kettle of fish. If reports of USA governments' attitude to mass transport and public transport are correct, plus critical services are only found in towns, access to a car in rural locations might almost be a must :sad:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
it seems far more crazy to think that looking after home planet isn't the biggest priority - i mean where else are we - and all the other critters going to live??

Reminds of the sign outside the excellent cake shop near Dalwhinnie distillery (similar to this):

planet_b.jpg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Reminds of the sign outside the excellent cake shop near Dalwhinnie distillery (similar to this):

View attachment 446358

Well exactly . So why do we carry on as if there is??

We can't really claim ignorance - all these problems have been common knowledge for decades.

I guess it's a collective case of the CBA''s... As my kids used to call it.

Combined with all the usual profit motive pushing us towards consumption..

I agree with the conclusion - it's a lot easier in urban areas - but I think it's unhelpful to use phrases like "realistically a car is must" because it accuses anyone living in places like that without access to cars (which there are always some) of being unrealistic when clearly they're not. IMO overstating it like that leads to politicians getting away with guff like "cars are essential" and implementing motoring supremacist policies. Cars may be very desirable, but it's a bit short of a must.

@12boy's location sounds like another kettle of fish. If reports of USA governments' attitude to mass transport and public transport are correct, plus critical services are only found in towns, access to a car in rural locations might almost be a must :sad:

I'd agree, it is very difficult to go car free in the country atm unless you are retired or have a job that doesn't involve any actual 'things'
Public transport is woeful out here, and stupidly expensive.

I currently run a small car..
And a slightly larger tractor.
Try to minimise use of them.

Although. both run on diesel I'm afraid, but I'm sure they could have been hydrogen cell driven, years ago if the tech had been encouraged, not sat on, and fossil fuels were taxed at their actual real cost to the planet..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We have too much stuff. Everybody needs to pare down what they have and to buy less in the future, starting with people other than me. The only exception is, of course, bicycles.

I think most people feel this really, hence the 'decluttering' industry that has sprung up

I guess while 'stuff' is still so relatively cheap we will keep on buying - as humans we can't seem to resist shiny new, novel things.

Bikes are definitely exempt tho...
When you're out riding a bike you're not shopping - much.

Last edited:
I'd agree, it is very difficult to go car free in the country atm unless you are retired or have a job that doesn't involve any actual 'things'
Public transport is woeful out here, and stupidly expensive.

I was repeatedly told I'd 'need' a car where I live now, that was fifteen (egads I'm old) years ago and thankfully I ignored the advice.

That said we have a public transport system and traffic free road network that while it isn't much by German standards is the sort of thing I used to dream of while waiting for a bus in the UK.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was repeatedly told I'd 'need' a car where I live now, that was fifteen (egads I'm old) years ago and thankfully I ignored the advice.

That said we have a public transport system and traffic free road network that while it isn't much by German standards is the sort of thing I used to dream of while waiting for a bus in the UK.
There's much to love about the UK ..
But so frustrating when we don't seem able to work together on stuff like an integrated transport system, or environmental controls.
Almost like we are resolutely proud of our plucky British ability to royally fekk things right up...And will defend our right so to do, til our last breath of carbon monoxide.

The price and connectivity of trains and buses on the continent is envy inducing.

Thatr's where the smug ecological credentials of a Bakfiets fall down: I can carry more in that then most people manage in a compact car.

Just keep pedalling then.. Don't stop to shop.
Unless it's for buns - buns are always allowed :smile:

@Andy in Germany
Ps what is a bakfiets please... Could I get a fleet of them for delivering vegetables??

Last edited:
But so frustrating when we don't seem able to work together on stuff like an integrated transport system, or environmental controls.
Almost like we are resolutely proud of our plucky British ability to royally fekk things right up...And will defend our right so to do, til our last breath of carbon monoxide.

This is what happens when profit and greed are put before every other useful metric of human success, happiness and contentment. That not to say a little profit, or greed are bad motivators, but we are incredibly myopic about them.

Bakfiets are cargo bikes.

@Andy in Germany
Ps what is a bakfiets please... Could I get a fleet of them for delivering vegetables??

This is a Bakfiets:

dsc_7626.jpg

And you can carry all manner of things in them:

rubbish_onna_bakfiets.jpg

bed_by_bak.jpg

So vegetable delivery would be well within their capabilities.

You could even use the Bakfiets as a shop:

fartradebak.jpg

Although from experience I recommend cleaning carefully first to remove any horse poo.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think most people feel this really, hence the 'decluttering' industry that has sprung up

I guess while 'stuff' is still so relatively cheap we will keep on buying - as humans we can't seem to resist shiny new, novel things.

Bikes are definitely exempt tho...
When you're out riding a bike you're not shopping - much.
Evidence is that cyclists shop more than motorists (not that many shopkeepers seem to accept that). It's probably because we're not stuck in traffic as much or wasting money fuelling and serving our vehicles.

Top Bottom