Do you cycle for or at least partly for Enviromental reasons ?

Do you ride a bicylcle for Enviromental reasons ?

• Fully

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Partly

Votes: 76 46.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 87 53.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I do it for me (health) to save money :laugh: do we have a hysterical smiley..though I mean diesel and the pollution.
And I guess I feel like I'm trying to be a planetist but im of the opinion we're far too late to save it or us..

Alan O

Über Member
Cow methane is next on my radar...
What, don't tell me that when I ride a cow to work I'm *not* helping save the planet?!

Generally, scientists don't, journalists do. (I've trained a little as both... now there's a conflict in writing styles to be endured!)
I heard a great one this morning and I'll praphrase the "scientist" commenting on global warming: "The heat generated from Greenhouse gases radiating back to the earth in XYZ scenario equals the heat generated by 100 000 Hiroshima-sized bombs. "

Now...I have no idea what that means, I really dont. It sounds wow, but so what.

Compare that to this statement regarding the same phenomena: "6 watt of heat per square meter of the earth's surface". I can relate to that and I think most people would too.

Last edited:
Not in the slightest. However, I include the enviro card when explaining to others why it's better than driving but doesn't influence my decision. I'll pick my mode of transport (cycle, car, train, foot) based on what's best (for me) for the required journey & purpose.

I started cycling citing mostly financial and fitness reasons, but climate was always there buzzing in the background. As time went on, I learned about Peak Oil and the implications of AGW, the 6th mass extinction, and the debt bubble. All of it cemented my resolve to avoid motor transport wherever practically possible, for the sake of my daughter and grand children. Most do not look that far into the future when making the choice about motor based transport (of all kinds). Even buses and trains are unsustainable, despite their recent green-washing. As other's have pointed out, cycling itself isn't environmentally friendly as the green-washers might have you believe. They are for the most part a product of the industrial economy, which is itself quite destructive. The manufacturing processes are damaging. However, they are the lesser of many evils. Cycling is only marginally worse than walking in man made boots. Only walking bare footed is really environmentally neutral, assuming your food source (energy) is also sustainable.

I figure citing 'personal competitive advantage' and 'making a living' in the job marketplace as an excuse to drive around hither and thither will not be a well received once the next generation hold their equivalence of the Nuremberg trials. In any case, combustion engines will be the privilege of the elite on the other side of this decade if things carry on the way there are, why not get used to getting about only by muscle power now?

I'd prefer to be part of the solution and not the problem. Not to say I am an angel, I'm still working on it :angel::evil:. I don't blame people for their choice to drive either. It's the system. It forced me down that same path for a time, but I took the blue pill and can't look back.

In the mean time, I have also reduced my consumption of meat, don't buy things new unless I really have to, mostly do without where I can, and stopped flying. In the near future, I plan to drop to 3-4 days a week at work so I have more time to grow my own food in anticipation of the collapse of the market economy. Yes. Seriously. It's coming.

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Cycling is purely a fun activity for me. The fact that it gets me around the place is a bonus.

It's cheaper and less time consuming than car racing or flying a plane.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I started cycling citing mostly financial and fitness reasons, but climate was always there buzzing in the background. As time went on, I learned about Peak Oil and the implications of AGW, the 6th mass extinction, and the debt bubble. All of it cemented my resolve to avoid motor transport wherever practically possible, for the sake of my daughter and grand children. Most do not look that far into the future when making the choice about motor based transport (of all kinds). Even buses and trains are unsustainable, despite their recent green-washing. As other's have pointed out, cycling itself isn't environmentally friendly as the green-washers might have you believe. They are for the most part a product of the industrial economy, which is itself quite destructive. The manufacturing processes are damaging. However, they are the lesser of many evils. Cycling is only marginally worse than walking in man made boots. Only walking bare footed is really environmentally neutral, assuming your food source (energy) is also sustainable.

I figure citing 'personal competitive advantage' and 'making a living' in the job marketplace as an excuse to drive around hither and thither will not be a well received once the next generation hold their equivalence of the Nuremberg trials. In any case, combustion engines will be the privilege of the elite on the other side of this decade if things carry on the way there are, why not get used to getting about only by muscle power now?

I'd prefer to be part of the solution and not the problem. Not to say I am an angel, I'm still working on it :angel::evil:. I don't blame people for their choice to drive either. It's the system. It forced me down that same path for a time, but I took the blue pill and can't look back.

In the mean time, I have also reduced my consumption of meat, don't buy things new unless I really have to, mostly do without where I can, and stopped flying. In the near future, I plan to drop to 3-4 days a week at work so I have more time to grow my own food in anticipation of the collapse of the market economy. Yes. Seriously. It's coming.

I sympathise with your position, and struggles.
Although I do still have to drive for work I try to limit it, and am seriously considering some kind of electric delivery vehicle.

Having been switched onto environmental stuff over thirty years ago, I've spent what I consider an unfair amount of time deflecting all the jibes about eco-warrior, tree hugger, sandal wearing ya de ya.

It is tricky trying to do the right and 'green' thing.

Especially in a society, and economy that would have us endlessly consuming, and vying with each other for material status of some kind.

If there is anyone to look back in a hundred years I'm sure they will marvel at all our polluting, and profligate use of resources for our own convenience.. With the same kind of disbelief that we now have for people who thought that slavery was justifiable.

We seem to have lost all sight of how much is 'sufficient'
Or any ability to comprehend, or care about the long term consequences of what we do now, for future inhabitants of the planet.

I don't suppose we'll be in time to reverse all the damage we have done, but I'm still hoping, that we might find a way to let ourselves down with some grace.

Tricky times approach, on many fronts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom