Do you cycle for or at least partly for Enviromental reasons ?

Do you ride a bicylcle for Enviromental reasons ?

• Fully

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Partly

Votes: 76 46.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 87 53.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I would love to do more shopping by bike but we live in a hilly town, and I fully accept that even the keenest of cyclist will shy away from the run back from town fully laden
I've taken the old washer to the recycling site, and collected the replacement by cycle. Around an eight mile round trip.

Three piece suite and fridge freezers taken there, recycling centre, as well. I'm not paying someone to do what I can do!!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I can always trust CycleChat to pin down the real cause of the problems: women.

On the contrary they probably hold the solution to most of the problems ...

And they certainly aren't responsible for most of the greedy, selfish, aggressive "Me me me" Ego type business that has trashed the planet..

Only the guys aren't listening to those solutions - they're too busy holed up in places like this - chatting to each other about bottom brackets :angel:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
On the contrary they probably hold the solution to most of the problems ...

And they certainly aren't responsible for most of the greedy, selfish, aggressive "Me me me" Ego type business that has trashed the planet..

Only the guys aren't listening to those solutions - they're too busy holed up in places like this - chatting to each other about bottom brackets :angel:
A "like" for your good natured response to @jefmcg, but, imo, us women do our fair share of planet destroying, I know I do for sure.
The carbon footprint of the imported cooking ingredients I use daily is probably more than what I save by cycling everywhere :sad:
But then, I remember when one could not easily find a head of garlic in Scottish shops :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
A "like" for your good natured response to @jefmcg, but, imo, us women do our fair share of planet destroying, I know I do for sure.
The carbon footprint of the imported cooking ingredients I use daily is probably more than what I save by cycling everywhere :sad:
But then, I remember when one could not easily find a head of garlic in Scottish shops
:smile:
There's at least one Scottish company growing it.
https://www.reallygarlicky.co.uk/

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
But then, I remember when one could not easily find a head of garlic in Scottish shops :smile:

Yes indeed.. But who created the industrialised food system, that creates all this CO 2, who makes most money from it?
Who eats the food you, or any other woman prepared its not just women doing the eating..

And who did the colonising that habituated us to having all these 'exotic' ingredients..
Although there are varieties of garlic that do OK in Scotland.

As far as I'm aware (and I've studied this) women are leading the charge in relocalising the Scottish fresh food growing industry - operating smaller scaled more eco friendly units on the whole

Of course we all have to take responsibility got our actions both men and women..

But women haven't had much say in how things are run, or done, up until very recently..

I reckon its their time to step forward.

(do I get another point Pat??)

classic33

Leg End Member
For irony, pass wind loudly as you pass them, or cut one as you cut back in
The reference by me was with regards the vehicle in use.

I would love to do more shopping by bike but we live in a hilly town, and I fully accept that even the keenest of cyclist will shy away from the run back from town fully laden
Don't know about your age or health but I live up a very substantial hill culdesac so always have to cycle up it on my return. It's far easier to cycle up that hill with the shopping in panniers than to carry even half of it walking. No longer have a car. Presumably you exert yourself when cycling not shopping. Why not shopping?
Is your gearing OK?

I cycle for purely selfish reasons. In terms of cost/fun/calories burnt I would rate my cycling towards the top end of activities. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

I read somewhere that the carbon footprint of manufacturing a bike is approximately the carbon footprint of commuting by car for four weeks. I also read that approx half the carbon footprint of a car is in its manufacture.

That's all very vague and smacks of the nonsense on BBC4 I heard this week.

"Commuting for four weeks" means nothing. How far is your commute? Commute by what?
"half the carbon footpring of a car is in its manufacture". More vague. If a car does 500 000kms before getting scrapped, it's carbon footprint from fuel is higher than one that crashed when it left the forecourt.

There are too many glib statements flying around. Cow methane is next on my radar. Sorry if you became collateral damage.

Top Bottom