Do you cycle for or at least partly for Enviromental reasons ?

Do you ride a bicylcle for Enviromental reasons ?

• Fully

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Partly

Votes: 76 46.3%
  • Not at all

Votes: 87 53.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Approx 150,000 people die every day and 365,000 are born..
In the UK?? Data suggests around 750k births total in 2017...do you mean globally?
I doubt most of the world pays mothers child benefits so I'm not sure where that logic comes from

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
In the UK?
I doubt most of the world pays mothers child benefits?
It would need to be a world wide effort. Maybe impossible, but nothing else will address the problem.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I do the same journey, on the same roads, in less time. They're slowing me down.
That's why I like having cycleways so I can overtake them. ;)

I cycle partly for environmental reasons. It just seems so anti-social to shoot fumes into the town and take up a whole lane on my own, thereby making other people shoot more fumes into the town, if I don't need a motor vehicle to move something big.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
To be completely honest environmental issues are not why I cycle but it is nice to know we are helping to reduce the total amount of emissions.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
That's why I like having cycleways so I can overtake them. ;)

I cycle partly for environmental reasons. It just seems so anti-social to shoot fumes into the town and take up a whole lane on my own, thereby making other people shoot more fumes into the town, if I don't need a motor vehicle to move something big.
That's why I prefer roads. I can still beat them.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's been established that cradle to grave, from digging out of the ground through to finally disposing of and recycling the dead carcass, a small petrol vehicle of 800kg or less is the least damaging, and a Pious isn't the answer to that. (My Smart is the answer to that ;) ) And I know, theres an environmental penalty for manufacturing them. The point being (and seemingly being missed) is that Ministers aren't even bothering to make a pretence of being environmentally concerned, so any chance of them genuinely being concerned is zero.

My ancient 1100cc 205 weighs in at around 850KG so almost makes me green :smile:

As for cycling, I do that because I enjoy it, not because I'm saving the planet.

subaqua

What’s the point
I’ll start to look at the impact my consumerism has on the environment, when multi-story office blocks switch off their lights when the building is empty, when petrol stations turn off all their neon lights when closed, when bus companies run smaller more eco friendly buses on rural routes, when street lamps are turned off when not needed, when ALL new buildings are built with solar and other renewable power sources, when politicians stop letting farm land getting built on, when parents send their kids to school on their own, when water companies stop wasting water, when cities have car free days, when it compulsory for food and grocery suppliers to stop using plastic packaging.

I could go on but I need to drive one mile to the shop to buy milk in a plastic bottle and some crisps in a bag that takes a thousand years to degrade.

Have a look at new buildings in relation to BREEAM , LEED.

Have a look at the building regs , particularly Part L ( conservation of fuel and power)

They do get built with lights that turn off when nobody there - absence detection , the BMS turns off cooling etc when nobody present. Solar panels are installed but sadly if they can’t get close to top end of FIT band sizes developers only put in the maximum for next size down as it’s not economic sense . ( Merton rule is used extensively but 10% is measly )

Transformers , motors , chillers all have to be high efficiency as that’s an EU directive ( thank you EU another benefit of membership )

Where does the problem lie. Facilities management companies not understanding how to use and maintain the systems we design and install . And why - because of greed and not wanting to train staff how to.

Even the power used to construct is under spotlight . I am currently writing a scope of work and particular specification for the project I am on for “ temporary power and water” and have specified absence detection , LED lights where lights are needed, lights not being on in daylight unless required to meet legislation for escape route lighting.

We tried to get PV on top of site accommodation but that was too difficult to get the planning consents for....

Developers will spend green pounds , but the appetite has to be right.

Top Bottom