Do you ever actually sell the bike that you have just replaced?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBB

Veteran
I have not had the heart to so far, resulting in my fleet being now up to 5!

They have a total resale of about £300 so I am not losing out much financially by hanging on to them.

And unlike cars, bikes at this value don't cost anything to hoard.

I am using up valuable shed space yes, but what else would I fill the space with!

How many do you have, do you ever actually sell the one you were planning to replace?

but what else would I fill the space with!
New bikes :becool:

I do sell mine as I go TBH, but only if it's a necessity in order to fund a new purchase normally.

I've even sold a bike and then bought another one the same at a later date before now :wacko:

I've currently got 3, my best road bike, a fixed gear road bike and an old project road bike.

Sadly the fixed is for sale as I could do with getting some cash back in at the moment:cry:

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I only have the space to house one bike, so I bought myself a good all round bike in the form of a Boardman Team CX, so had to sell my beloved Carrera subway to make room :cry: (then again it was in excellent condition, so got a little more than I paid for it) .. My other bike (Specialized Alleze) I gave to my son, who keeps it in his bedroom and space is tight in there too.

So limited space limits the amount of bikes I can own :thumbsdown:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've usually done so, but only had to sell 3 so far. However, 2 years ago I started with 1, I've now got 4 so somewhere it's not quite worked out :thumbsup: *

* Note: the agreement with SWMBO is 3 max., so I'm close to this.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have only sold one bike, the only bike I bought new from a good LBS.
I sold it to a friend who was looking for a good bike, I have first refusal if he decides to sell it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I get sentimental over anything. So i keep the old bikes or pass 'em on to relatives or friends so that i can see them again.:tongue: I still pine for that Holdsworth racer my brother sold behind my back in 1980!:cry:

Biker Joe

Über Member
I have two bikes. A hybrid and a road bike.
I've had several 'normal' push bikes over the years,( what are now called hybrids) and they always got passed on.
I've only ever bought two complete road bikes. As time goes by, the parts get replaced as they wear out or they get upgraded, maybe a frame, group sets or wheels.
I've only ever sold one of my road bikes and that was to fund my present 'Look' carbon framed bike. This will also get upgraded as parts wear out.
It'll probably never get sold as a complete bike.If the fates allow.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I kinda regret selling an vintage bike, but I would never use it now.

A few days ago I told my wife that this year I plan to fill the one remaining space that I could hang a bike with a nice carbon bike, she told me that's no problem at all, and she will fully support that decision with the caveat that bathroom and kitchen are replaced first.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I get sentimental over anything. So i keep the old bikes or pass 'em on to relatives or friends so that i can see them again.:tongue: I still pine for that Holdsworth racer my brother sold behind my back in 1980!:cry:
Oh no, not my friends or relatives, I'd find it too stressful seeing them in need of a good sponge down, polish and lube!
When they're gone they're gone. Move on to the upgrade with delight :wahhey:

tyred

Legendary Member
I have about 17 bikes at the last count, so clearly, no I don't. It's an addiction!

I would consider selling a few of my vintage roadsters but I would only sell them to someone I know would look after them. I would hate to have spent time and money rescuing them from the scrap heap to have some eejit leave them rusting in their garden covered in baskets of flowers. Each one is a little bit of social history after all.

lulubel

Über Member
I've never sold any because my old bikes weren't worth enough money to bother with the hassle. I've given a few away over the years, though.

If I had to part with either of my current bikes, I certainly wouldn't be giving them away, though.

Top Bottom