Do you ever actually sell the bike that you have just replaced?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
1 in 1 out. Now bromptons have the new 'h' model, I may have found the 'one'. No more pins and needles, the more upright position has made my brooks saddle even more comfortable and the front luggage is ace. I feel a fool for selling my last super upgraded Brompton tbh.

Like smokeysmoo I've sold bikes and then later bought a similar bike. My biking needs and wants have changed over the years.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends if they serve the same or a different purpose.

When I decided to build a new fixed, I built it and sold my old one.
When I wanted a TT bike, I kept my fixed and Road bike, but added the TT bike.

Depends on circumstances basically.

simon.r

Person
If I'd never sold any I don't think I'd be able to get through my front door!

Current stable is 7:

Fixed road
Single-speed road (with mudguards, lights etc)
Geared road
Single-speed MTB
Tandem (cheap and cheerful, for occasional summer fun!)
Hub geared do-it-all (kept at girlfriend's house)
Folder (to be sold and replaced by a geared MTB)

Given the space, time and money there are a few things I'd like to add, or at least try, but being sensible I reckon the 7 above is right for my wants at the moment:smile:

(P.S. - anyone want to buy an old Birdy?!)

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Yep got rid of the old commutter when i got the new one, you only need three bikes:becool:

Burn the heathen!! im already planning bike 3,4 and 5! lol. i need a hybrid, a sunny day bike and a decent commuter (possibly CX) to accompany my old MTB and allez. i did sell an awesome hybrid when i fell on hard times and am considering asking my brother if i can buy it back off him (hes done his back in playing rugby and is on all kind of meds at the moment!)

N+1 all the way! i am even considering a folder too. lol

Night Train

Maker of Things
Isn't that called "renting"?
No, if it was rented to him then I would simply get it back at the end of a period.
However, if he tires of it and wants rid then I will have to pay him for it, possibly as much as he paid me if the bike is worth the same financial amount at the time!
You could say I have lent it to him for a part/full refundable deposit, but may decide not to take it back so he would need to sell it to get his deposit back.:thumbsup:

Whichever way it is looked at, he is very happy with it, he looks after it, I still get to borrow it if I need to, I know it hasn't gone to someone who won't look after it.

I have not had the heart to so far, resulting in my fleet being now up to 5!

They have a total resale of about £300 so I am not losing out much financially by hanging on to them.

And unlike cars, bikes at this value don't cost anything to hoard.

I am using up valuable shed space yes, but what else would I fill the space with!

How many do you have, do you ever actually sell the one you were planning to replace?

I kept my last road bike to be used as an old runabout when the weather is shoot. Usually I end up scrapping old bikes.

Lanzecki

Über Member
I don't sell them, even though I tell the wife I do. I think she hasn't noticed, while I know that she know's I don't sell them and she know's all about it.

Umm. I think.

Sold the lot when we sold everything we owned to go and cycle around the world - took the decision we would be away too long to validate keeping a bike each doing nothing whilst we were away which was a real shame becuase I really liked my £1,500 Scott Scale 40 (not that I paid that for it you understand) and was wonderfully light for a mtb...

Came back unexpectedly (:excl: ) so now have the tourers (rohloff hub), and promptly needed a bike to be able to take to college/work (triban 3 purchased) and around Christmas found ourselves missing off-road cycling too much & accepted defeat and somehow ended up with 3 mtbs - one is an old steel relic but the parts on it such as full SKS mudguards & pannier rack were worth it not to mention the expensive & very good front light, mount and charger than came with it, but the truth is with 4 bikes outside (plus our neighbours bike on our bike rack) & 3 bikes in the house - spare room, n-1 is a must. Bits have started to go via the wanted board... may post up some of the other parts which are reuseable, but the likelihood is that it will either go for scrap or to a charity to repair and give to the 'needy'.
Its a shame but I have way too many parts in the house as it is and the un-used tyre count is above 20 so space is needed...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I kinda regret selling an vintage bike, but I would never use it now.

A few days ago I told my wife that this year I plan to fill the one remaining space that I could hang a bike with a nice carbon bike, she told me that's no problem at all, and she will fully support that decision with the caveat that bathroom and kitchen are replaced first.

Just why are women sooooo reactionary and unreasonable?

Just why are women sooooo reactionary and unreasonable?
we have the other problem here - personally I can't see an issue with the spare room, the dining room and most of the drawers full of bike parts, bike pieces, bike tools, rags, grease, oil, spare tyres, inner tubes (etc), and cycle clothing. Stangely it is my husband who has drawn the line at 7 bikes between the 2 of us and said n-1 to me.

My O.H assumed my current bike would be sold when my bike fund tin is full!.... I informed her that it would become the 'winter bike' she was fine with it just told me I'd better budget for another shed as well

Dave 123

Legendary Member
we have the other problem here - personally I can't see an issue with the spare room, the dining room and most of the drawers full of bike parts, bike pieces, bike tools, rags, grease, oil, spare tyres, inner tubes (etc), and cycle clothing. Stangely it is my husband who has drawn the line at 7 bikes between the 2 of us and said n-1 to me.

Blokes eh? Dickheads!

Top Bottom