Do you ever actually sell the bike that you have just replaced?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
we have the other problem here - personally I can't see an issue with the spare room, the dining room and most of the drawers full of bike parts, bike pieces, bike tools, rags, grease, oil, spare tyres, inner tubes (etc), and cycle clothing. Stangely it is my husband who has drawn the line at 7 bikes between the 2 of us and said n-1 to me.
Easy, sell one of his!

Easy, sell one of his!
it is one of his :giggle:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
we have the other problem here - personally I can't see an issue with the spare room, the dining room and most of the drawers full of bike parts, bike pieces, bike tools, rags, grease, oil, spare tyres, inner tubes (etc), and cycle clothing. Stangely it is my husband who has drawn the line at 7 bikes between the 2 of us and said n-1 to me.

That's totally unreasonable, cycling appears to really need more females, your husband should commend and support you for queering the curve :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've sold a couple of old bikes, but only to fund new ones. The last bike I built was done so using parts from an old bike. That bike had been upgraded and renewed so much that by the time decided I wanted a change only the frame remained of the original. I sold the frame and built the new bike from those parts, then decided I wanted a few upgrades. For every component I bought I sold the original component in order to minimise costs. I've just done a mental inventory and realised that of all the parts I transferred from the Cube onto the Cotic, only the crank spider, forks and gear shifters remain. So, yes, I suppose I always sell to make way for new, but bikes aren't so much a whole as a tidal flow of parts and accessories.

400bhp

Guru
I see bikes as an asset to be bought/sold.

When looking at new bikes/changing I will factor in the cost of selling the old bike.

I do this a bit with other things too, including bike parts & accessories.

I sell loads of shat on Fleabay - reckon I'm up to about £20k sales (started in about 2002).

FFS I sold a saddle bag on here for about a fiver. I certainly don't need the money.

I am not a hoarder and if I was on a glass half full day I would say I am being altruistic by passing on my unneccesary goods to someone that will derive utility for them.

Or maybe I'm just tight. :whistle:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I sold my Giant FCR 3 flat bar "best bike" for a sensible sum when I bought my Defy 2 last year. Sorry to see the dear thing go but I was excited about getting the Defy !

But I haven't sold my 8 year old £175 internet-bought indonesian scaffoldpole gripshift 6-spd freewheel hybrid thing, which has fat tyres on it, child seat and co, and is worth more to me as a snow/floods commuter, muddy track, bashabout leave at the train station hack than I'd ever get by selling it.

Top Bottom