Do you ever forget to lock your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
Stopped for coffee while out today.
One of my regular stops. Busy place beside a big supermarket . Had coffee, came out and was surprised to see there was no lock on my bike.
It was still in the bag it lives in.

On another occasion I came out of Asda to find that I had " locked" my bike to fresh air.

Must be getting old.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have done this at work, which is thankfully low risk due to being in an access controlled area.
Worse though is once leaving my open top car (a Landrover) in a busy carpark in a roughish area of Manchester with the keys hung in the ignition! Luckily I returned to the vehicle 30-40 minutes later and realised I couldn't find my keys, only to realise they were still just where I had left them. Not something I intend to do a second time....

Sharky

Guru
More than once, I've left thru the garage and started my ride. Only getting a mile down the road, thinking - Did I lock the garage doors?

Had to go back to check - nearly always I had, but could not remember doing so.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've never failed to lock my bike but I frequently forget to lock the garage which has six bikes in it.

Sometimes I don't even get that far... I have come out on the drive on a Sunday morning to find my Trek and my daughter's bike propped against the bins, where I parked them on Saturday with good intentions of placing them in aforementioned garage.

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
I've never failed to lock my bike but I frequently forget to lock the garage which has six bikes in it.

Sometimes I don't even get that far... I have come out on the drive on a Sunday morning to find my Trek and my daughter's bike propped against the bins, where I parked them on Saturday with good intentions of placing them in aforementioned garage.
I've forgotten to put mine in the shed once or twice.
But I do lock onto a very heavy chair that's strategically placed beside the back gate

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't forgotten to lock my bike, but I once forgot to lock my back door after coming back from the pub. I got up the next morning to discover that somebody had walked in and nicked my wallet! :cursing:

presta

Guru
I locked my bike to a bench in Leek town centre, and went off for a look around town, but when I got back, I put my hand in my jacket pocket and the key was missing. I had a good rummage, and then started looking in every other pocket and place where I knew I hadn't put it. I kept returning to the jacket pocket, but no, it had gone. I keep a spare, but I wasn't going to break it out until I was satisfied the original was lost, so I retraced my steps all around town, asking in all the shops where I'd been. Having drawn a blank, I got back to the bike, had one last feel in the jacket pocket where I put it, and there was the key.

tyred

Legendary Member
Have done this at work, which is thankfully low risk due to being in an access controlled area.
Worse though is once leaving my open top car (a Landrover) in a busy carpark in a roughish area of Manchester with the keys hung in the ignition! Luckily I returned to the vehicle 30-40 minutes later and realised I couldn't find my keys, only to realise they were still just where I had left them. Not something I intend to do a second time....

Once when on holidays in Scotland, I parked my car somewhere near the centre of Inverness, walked off for several hours and when coming back and walking the last few hundred yards to the car, I was gripped with panic as I went through my pockets one by one and then my rucksack in an attempt to find my car keys. When I reached the car I realised I had locked the doors but for whatever reason, I had walked off leaving the keys sitting on the roof:banghead:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I haven't forgotten to lock my bike, but I once forgot to lock my back door after coming back from the pub. I got up the next morning to discover that somebody had walked in and nicked my wallet! :cursing:

Something similar happened to me a few times too. I pop out to the pub and next thing I know I wake up to find someone has nicked all the notes from my wallet and swapped it for small change. The blighters did not stop there either, they must have bashed me on my head, taken a dump in my mouth and smeared kebab fat on my clothes.

I frequently forget my lock when going to the shops or similar. This is partly because I've got three bikes with only one lock. You'd think I'd be a bit better with the Dutch cargo bike, which is a 30kg behemoth and has a lock built in, with a key that can't be removed unless you have actually locked it, but no, I frequently come back to see the key hanging in the bike.

Fortunately this is a low crime area, and bikes aren't that nickable. If I end up in a more bike friendly city next yea I'm going to have to sharpen up quickly.

Most locks are a placebo anyway. They’ll stop opportunistic thieves, but that’s about all. If someone really wants your bike, they’ll try to get it, lock or no lock. I’ve forgotten to lock bikes, and they’ve not been nicked, I’ve locked bikes, and had them nicked, before now.

Top Bottom