Do you ever forget to lock your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I carry a small Kryptonite D-lock and I normally lock my bike through the rear triangle. On a couple of occasions I've missed the Sheffield rack and locked the bike to thin air. Fortunately it was still there when I returned.

I've also arrived at the college where I teach with my lock, but without the key. Stuffing the lock through the spokes was the best I could manage in the time available.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
At home I never bother locking. When on the mainland I rarely have the bike out of sight but if it is I always lock it tho’ not a very good lock as any potential thieves are likely to be opportunistic rather than tooled up looking for bikes to nick.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I never lock my bike as it's always under my bum or in my sight. If not there it's in our locked, alarmed attached garage with extra bolts at three places on the door.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Once when on holidays in Scotland, I parked my car somewhere near the centre of Inverness, walked off for several hours and when coming back and walking the last few hundred yards to the car, I was gripped with panic as I went through my pockets one by one and then my rucksack in an attempt to find my car keys. When I reached the car I realised I had locked the doors but for whatever reason, I had walked off leaving the keys sitting on the roof:banghead:
The motoring equivalent of coming back to your bike and finding you'd left the key for the lock hanging from the saddle while you took your gloves off and forgot about it...
Where not to leave a key.jpg

Chris S

Legendary Member
Worse though is once leaving my open top car (a Landrover) in a busy carpark in a roughish area of Manchester with the keys hung in the ignition!
They probably thought it was a sting operation.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Have done this at work, which is thankfully low risk due to being in an access controlled area.
Worse though is once leaving my open top car (a Landrover) in a busy carpark in a roughish area of Manchester with the keys hung in the ignition! Luckily I returned to the vehicle 30-40 minutes later and realised I couldn't find my keys, only to realise they were still just where I had left them. Not something I intend to do a second time....

It can't be that low risk with @potsy full of fry ups about.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have several times forgotten to take the lock with on a ride, so at the tea stop I have to make sure the bike is in view, or if out shopping, go back home collect the keys and start again. I used to have a separate key rings for the bike locks and house keys. Now all on one ring. I have a couple of times left the keys in the lock though.

Top Bottom