Do you ever visit with barbers/hairdresser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi
Prior to the lockdown I would always visit the barbers once a month for a haircut.I hated it back then due to having to wait my turn ,when I knew I had a million and one things to do elsewhere and that I would have to engage in small talk to whoever was cutting my ever receding bonce.
It would be the same conversations everytime "are you going on holiday this year" that was the most common conversation, followed by football to which I have no interest in..
With 30 minutes waiting and 15/20 minutes in the chair I was usually relieved of £10 ( goodness knows what it costs nowadays)
Then came along lockdown and everything shut down.As I live alone,cutting my own hair so it wouldn't look like Worzel Gumage wasn't going to happen so I invested in a hair trimmer from Lldl.Oh yes I really pushed the boat out and paid £12 for them.
For the last few years I've been sporting the Telly Sevales look by cropping it back to next to nothing.Once a week it gets the full treatment and has probably saved me a small fortune and time that I would never have got back.
My street cred has undoubtedly taken a serious nose dive though (not that I had any to begin with)
I was walking through town this morning and it suddenly occurred to me that the place is awash with Turkish barbers.There absolutely everywhere and each one was full of people.There was 4/5 barbers working hard away in each shop and the waiting area was bursting at the seams with people waiting.Some of them must be in there waiting for over an hour to get seen to.This wasn't just happening in one shop either,it was virtually all of them.
The funny thing is though,they were all mostly youngsters and when they came out, they all looked identical sporting there new crops.It kind of reminded of North Korea were the government only allows certain styles of hair cuts.
Thankfully I'm at a certain age where being bald is the norm so I don't get a second look which suits me just fine as I don't think I could ever consider visiting a barber ever again.
Victor Meldrew over and out 🤣

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cut my own for years - 12mm sides, 18mm top. Wahl cutter.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yep turkish barbers are abundant in city centre but most others are traditional english barbers. The turkish ones i guess will do any style you want but skin fades are the in look. I go to one where I can book on the Booksy app so walk straight in. It's 14 quid but at least I'm supporting a person and i couldn't do my own nearly as well

Yep turkish barbers are abundant in city centre

They're v common in most towns I visit. Experience + anecdata says that many only take cash.

My ex-police colleague says there is a very good reason for this ...

I've used my local one twice, perfectly competent. But I only go there if the Q at the "old-fashioned" place down the road is intimidating - which it very often is.

presta

Guru
I bought a clipper during lockdown too, the first No4 was a bit of a shock when I saw it, but I really like it now. The only problem is that it's a bit cold for the winter, so last November I had a cut at the barbers. This year I've tried to time my last cut so that I can leave it to grow until next spring, so we'll see if I can. No4 is the longest guide that came with the clipper, but I think longer ones might not work with my hair very well anyway, it's very fine, and tends to bend double rather than pass through the guide, which means I have to make multiple passes to get it to cut. (I think the one I paid for last year was £12.)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Before The Plague came, I would go to the Iraqi barbers (£9) and get a cut every three or four months. When they closed during the lock-downs, I attempted DIY with some wonderfully retro metal Wahl clippers and a couple of YouTube tutorials, with distinctly "patchy" results.

The Iraqis are back, now charging £14, and I 'm happy to support them.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not been to a barbers for years. I think it was about £6?
Strictly DIY now.
Summer is 2mm / 3 mm all over. Winter is about 5mm for added insulation.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mrs ck does mine a 3 mm cut all over when it needs doing maybe once a month
my hairstyle went out the window years ago as i wear a hard hat all day at work , then a skid lid for commuting so a nice looking cut is out of the question as i used to come home with a big x of compressed hair from the straps

Mike_P

Guru
Done my own for years, current clipper is a Remington Quick Cut. Had to oil the blades last week due to then sticking. 12mm all over with 9mm fronts to the sides.

Top Bottom