Do you ever visit with barbers/hairdresser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well excuse me for my typo. Unfortunately I'm a human being that often makes mistakes in life as well as typos.

It's not a typo unless you were using an American auto correct system.
Do you also refer to the lavatory as the bathroom?

I occasionally went to a local one in Stuttgart where it cost 9€ for a buzz. I asked locally here, and post plague they want 25-30€ a time "because we have to wash your hair now".

As it's not a very pleasant experience I declined; Beautiful Wife attacks it with trimmers when it gets too unruly.

When I worked with refugees, one of the clients did haircuts for everyone else when we had CV prep days; before I took pictures of clients for their CV, they'd get a very professional trim from a Syrian hairdresser. He had an extra service using thread which was twisted and pulled across the customers cheekbones and removed all the hair the trimmers missed.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Nothing on top for me, so no, I haven't been 'barbered' for about 8 years. I've passed these Turkish barber type places when they've been standing at the door trying to get customers in by saying stuff like "you wanna nice haircut sir". I simply smile and lift my hat saying If you can find it, you can cut it!

They’re waiting for the class A money to go through the till.

Venod

Eh up
I used to cut my own, then started using the local Turkish guy (Kurdish Turk ) I liked the setting fire to my ears bit, I am back to littering the bathroom with little grey hairs (used to be brown ones) now.
I did visit the barber in Lanzarote in August for a no2 all over as it was very hot communication was a bit difficult but we got there.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I used to go, and to be fair, didn't begrudge the ten to fifteen quid for a normal haircut. Used to have mostly scissors cut on top and clippers on the sides, but the barber then said it's easier to do clippers on all of it. I then thought, "hang on a minute. That's just a buzz cut. I can do that myself" OK the barber used a different setting for top and sides, but it was near enough an all over buzz, so I bought a Whal clippers and have done my own ever since. It wasn't really the saving money, but mainly the hassle of queing up and a special outing just for a hair cut

My clippers: a Whal pro model model (taper ?) was about £40 but I think they are twice that now. I dare say the barber's more than £15 now as well, so still quite reasonable. Just like tools generally, the pro model is nearly always a better buy, or at least is objectively better to use, so if pro grade isn't an absurd price I'd always get it

Don't make the mistake of buying a consumer grade one. I bough a recharchable Remmington one initially and only used it once or twice and it was not really usable at all and went in the bin. It came in a nice box which I use to store my Wahl

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I've been doing the DIY haircut for many years - generally a grade 2 whenever it starts to look a bit scruffy. There's normally a last short cut in October and then a thermal thatch is grown over the winter and it all comes off again around March/April time as it gets warmer.

I remember Mike Burrows saying similar. Warm head of hair all winter then really short for the racing season.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In Oban there is now no choice. Turkish barber it has to be. Hopefully going off island soon and my first stop will be the barber.
Biggest problem is getting parked anywhere near.
No 2 cut all over is £8.00 for ancients.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Been doing my own with clippers for a while now ... the only thing I miss from the barbers is having someone shaving the back, at the neck ... but I'm getting used to that, I guess.
My friend Miss Goodbody has asked me round later to 'give her a trim' ... maybe she's changed her hairstyle since we last met :unsure:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What is this hair of which ye speak?

An old pal of mine once said, sounding very serious, "I hope I don't go bald .... 'cause then I'd be fat and bald!" and then burst out laughing. He was a big lad admittedly

Last edited:
Top Bottom