Do you ever visit with barbers/hairdresser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I go to the hairdresser every 6-8 weeks, depending. If it’s towards the end of the school hols, I wait as getting an appointment is tricky. I avoid the ‘going out period’ around Christmas and New Year too, same reason.
During lockdown I did trim my hair. I am C&G qualified but never really did hairdressing as a profession, I retrained as a dog groomer. Better money. Even so, doing my own hair is quite tricky for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
They're v common in most towns I visit. Experience + anecdata says that many only take cash.

My ex-police colleague says there is a very good reason for this ...

I've used my local one twice, perfectly competent. But I only go there if the Q at the "old-fashioned" place down the road is intimidating - which it very often is.
The empty shop adjoining one "Turkish barber" and their shop were raided by police earlier this week, in the town centre. Cannabis being grown in the empty premises.

Drago

Legendary Member
I visit one regularly, but never get my hair done (my eldest owns a gents salon and I visit her most weeks, but I'm a chromie who keeps what's left very short anyway.)

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
5 days before the first big lockdown I had the genius idea of buying clippers, the set was £12 99

Soon 3-4x the price if not more. I clipped my own hair until march when I accidentally used them with no comb on. My hair was soo short a razor made light work and ive been bald since.

Now just use a skull shaver 2-3 times a week

dicko

Guru
I did earlier this year as Mrs was a bit grumpy but barber made such a hacking mess I haven’t been since.
However bottle of wine seems to have done the trick and hair now as she (who must be obeyed) cuts it how she likes it.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've been doing the DIY haircut for many years - generally a grade 2 whenever it starts to look a bit scruffy. There's normally a last short cut in October and then a thermal thatch is grown over the winter and it all comes off again around March/April time as it gets warmer.

Gwylan

Veteran
I've had the same hairdresser, off an on for over 50 years. I've slept with her occasionally too.
There have been the odd lapses. The Japanese experience, the shanty hairdresser in Accra, a gorgeous girl in a French ski village.
No idea how much money I'm supposed to have saved over the years. It's not immediately evident.

Alex321

Veteran
Haven't ben to a barber for about 15 years.

Bought one of the clipper sets from Remington, and my wife has used those to cut my hair every few weeks. On the third set now, with the latest being Wahl, which cuts much better than either of the Remingtons did - They both tended to tug a little if I didn't thoroughly comb the hair immediately before.

Given that the sets have all been between £20-£25, and the barber cost £8 the last time I went, it only takes 3 uses to be in profit. It gets used about 7-9 times a year, and each set has lasted 6 years+ so they have saved quit a bit over the years.

Top Bottom