Do you ever visit with barbers/hairdresser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's.easy to spot the self clippers, they miss the crucial.stuff like trimming eyebrows etc and all those places hair is growing where they shouldn't be...

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Nope.

OldShep

Über Member
It's.easy to spot the self clippers, they miss the crucial.stuff like trimming eyebrows etc and all those places hair is growing where they shouldn't be...

You won’t spot me.. eyebrows on No9 and nape of neck without a guard.
Think on I clipped ~2000 sheep a year for 35 yrs Im no stranger to cutting. Should also add it’s our 50th wedding anniversary next year and Mrs Shep has never been to a hairdresser since the day we married. I’ve cut, styled and dyed it in all those years.
Besides the financial consideration it’s also the time involved in visiting a shop. We have a hairdressing night around every 6-8 weeks. The whole job and floor swept in little over 30 minutes. It takes us 30 minutes to drive to civilisation. ^_^

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You won’t spot me.. eyebrows on No9 and nape of neck without a guard.
Think on I clipped ~2000 sheep a year for 35 yrs Im no stranger to cutting. Should also add it’s our 50th wedding anniversary next year and Mrs Shep has never been to a hairdresser since the day we married. I’ve cut, styled and dyed it in all those years.
Besides the financial consideration it’s also the time involved in visiting a shop. We have a hairdressing night around every 6-8 weeks. The whole job and floor swept in little over 30 minutes. It takes us 30 minutes to drive to civilisation. ^_^
Mrs Old Shep? :laugh:
1698653427295.png

Fair play, I quite enjoy the ritual of going to the barbers and its very convenient, next door to the village butchers! Could easily do it at home as I now on no.1 back and sides and no.2 on top! I do dye the OH's roots though.

I have clipped a fair number of sheep back in my youth. We only had a smallish flock so used hand shears for years, until my brother-in-law "joined" the family and introduced my Dad to the joys of machine shears, and relegated my dad to catcher and fleece wrapper.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm going this afternoon. I go to the same place- they know I don't like to talk and I tip. I tend to drop in when it's likely to be quiet.

I prefer it shorter over the winter since it dries quicker before I need to ride to work.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Short story, I've got long hair....yes I know that's my fault, but while I was waiting to have a trim I picked up a magazine like you do and there was an article on cutting hair and it said “ if you have long hair don't waste money on hair cuts, just wash hair put it in a pony tail and trim the ends."
A couple of months later I tried it and yes it works and haven't been to a hair dresser since. :smile:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've been using the same barbers for about 30 years. Used to be a grade 3 back and sides every 6-8 wks. These days it's every 4-6 weeks and i keep it a grade shorter.

Seen lots of staff and owners come and go in that time, including a Turkish guy who like to get theatrical with flaming meths to tame ear hair. Toasty!

It's currently run by two Kurds, the happiest and most friendly guys I know.

Gunk

Guru
Short story, I've got long hair....yes I know that's my fault, but while I was waiting to have a trim I picked up a magazine like you do and there was an article on cutting hair and it said “ if you have long hair don't waste money on hair cuts, just wash hair put it in a pony tail and trim the ends."
A couple of months later I tried it and yes it works and haven't been to a hair dresser since. :smile:

My old man used to say, “never trust a man with a pony tail”

no idea why :laugh:

I have a nice Barber I visit 3 to 4 times a year, I cut (shaved) my own during lockdown but always struggled with the back. Luckily I can't see the back of my head so I didn't care.

Top Bottom