Do you ever visit with barbers/hairdresser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
In Oban there is now no choice. Turkish barber it has to be. Hopefully going off island soon and my first stop will be the barber.
Biggest problem is getting parked anywhere near.
No 2 cut all over is £8.00 for ancients.

That's a pity, I remember going to see Tommy plenty back in the day. His boy looked as if he was going to take over for a while and the ladies was through the back, but I never knew if there was a family connection.

There's one in Helensburgh now, with 3 generations of barbers. I think they are the last independent in the town, so I like to support them but I do prefer the old boy, as he's different class. Just a certain way, that's probably no longer really appreciated. Pity really

In the run-up to surgery in January this year, I went to one of the two Turkish barbers in Tavistock. Their shops are right next door to each other! Toss a coin...
Had a complete head shave a day or so prior to surgery, so I wouldn't have to bother for a while. Not been back since, but if I need to, it's easy to book an appointment.

Stopped going due to lockdown, another Wahl product purchaser. I guess I've saved perhaps £120 by now or more. It used to be £9.50 and I'd go every 6-10 weeks. The barber is just across the road from my mother's house who I visit a lot. There used to be 2 barbers (father and son), father retired and just the son now and still not very busy compared to the old times. The son is competent barber but a bit miserable compared to his father. Often outside smoking and looking resentful of lack of trade nowadays. In the good old days they were earning serious money, only took 10-20 minutes and they were busy all day long with long hours of opening mostly. I'm sure they had a tidy sum coming in. Something like £40 an hour, 50hrs a week and 52 weeks a year. That's £100k per chair per year. Very decent money but nowadays seems like a fraction of that.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Taken from a local Facebook page.

The bloke in the chair used to be my mum and dad's window cleaner in the 1970's and 80's. It was put on about 5 days ago, so not long now till his 100th! 🍾 That barber cut my hair one day in 2002. I remember the date as I was wearing a World Cup 2002 t-shirt and had a photo taken when I got home. I went in and asked for a slight trim. It was like one of those Vietnam/American G/I war scenes when enlisted men were asked what style they'd like by the forces barber. After they'd said what they'd like, the barber simply took the whole lot off with electric shears!:laugh: As I waited to hear that gentle scissor snipping sound I was met with a loud BZZZZZZZ!!!, followed by sweeping hand over head movements! :ohmy: I still have that photo somewhere which I'll try and dig out later. I showed it to him a year or so ago and he remembered that day, saying I sat there gawping as he showed me my new 'bonehead' cut in a mirror from different angles!:unsure:
nc_ohc=ANXeTif9S-gAX92BWdX&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Slick

Guru
Taken from a local Facebook page.

The bloke in the chair used to be my mum and dad's window cleaner in the 1970's and 80's. It was put on about 5 days ago, so not long now till his 100th! 🍾 That barber cut my hair one day in 2002. I remember the date as I was wearing a World Cup 2002 t-shirt and had a photo taken when I got home. I went in and asked for a slight trim. It was like one of those Vietnam/American G/I war scenes when enlisted men were asked what style they'd like by the forces barber. After they'd said what they'd like, the barber simply took the whole lot off with electric shears!:laugh: As I waited to hear that gentle scissor snipping sound I was met with a loud BZZZZZZZ!!!, followed by sweeping hand over head movements! :ohmy: I still have that photo somewhere which I'll try and dig out later. I showed it to him a year or so ago and he remembered that day, saying I sat there gawping as he showed me my new 'bonehead' cut in a mirror from different angles!:unsure:
View attachment 711704

I do remember visiting an American Air base in Rota, Spain, when it became obvious I needed a haircut. This was back in the day when hair meant something to me as I obviously thought I was Samson. :laugh:

Anyway, m brother told me to ask for a Marine Cut and I naively agreed. Could not believe it when the clippers came out and ran straight across my nut at number 1. I looked over at my brother who was rolling on the floor killing himself. :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd look like an overgrown bush lol
Every 5/6 weeks here, just for a cut (very short) and blow dry.
I am generally low maintenance, but I like a snazzy, tidy, hair cut.

I have a lot of thick hair, I should probably go more often but as it’s quite wavy/curly it gets unruly whatever I do!

Another not been to the Barbers in years ( probably 20 odd years apart from my time between partners which was only 6 months) Cos I dont have a lot of hair. When I was married my wife did it, now my present Fiancee does it with a trimmer.

Ripple

Veteran
Never liked being at hairdressers so used to go 2 - 3 times a year. February 2020 booked an appointment and was told it will be £42 for a short cut. :blink: Cancelled it and bought hair clippers.

That's first try:

hair.jpg

hair1.jpg

After the first few attempts it takes me no more than 30 minutes now and that includes cutting hair shorter at the sides and back of the neck.
Obviously it requires loads of dexterity and juggling with 2 mirrors. But all of it pays off because I don't need to listen to "first you need a hair wash" (ghhh I washed it an hour ago) and I don't need to talk to a hairdresser and no worries of how much it will cost me.

I also dye hair myself too. That saves a small fortune.

You don't visit with the barber, you just visit him/her.
Another needless Americanism.

It's not a typo unless you were using an American auto correct system.
Do you also refer to the lavatory as the bathroom?

You do realise that there are many members here from the USA? And other places?

Also, do you realise that "English" is a bastard, mongrel language derived from old Norse, German and the Romance languages that is continuously evolving with input from many languages?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...Germanic,southern Denmark and the Netherlands.

Perhaps you should boycott the internet? (That'd be a word adopted from Ireland). But where's the craic in that? (Oh, another Irish word!)

G'day.

Top Bottom