Do you go on your bike when the roads are covered with thin snow ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
In my case, I know they think I'm mad!
Our postman loves me gritting though ^_^

That's why those that know you call you Mad Pat! ;)

al78

Guru
Yes I do but only on the mountain bike with studded tyres.

Comparing cycling to driving in such conditions is silly. My car isn't going to fall sideways and painfully deposit me on the tarmac like my bike will do if it loses traction, and my bike has far more chance of losing traction given the much smaller tyre footprint. I don't drive in icy conditions as a rule unless I need too, and when I do I am very careful to the point where the risk is very likely lower than if I went out on a bike on slick tyres even taking into account the externalised risk. It is certainly the case when considering the risk to myself, as I had a traumatic head injury nine years ago so my head will not take another big or even maybe a moderate impact.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
no chance this morning on early shift so out the door at 4.15 and it was snowing on top of the ice so i didnt fancy my chances on the country lanes on a road bike

Sixmile

Veteran
If that's not weather for the fat bike, I don't know what is ^_^
IMG_20230117_123821483.jpg

IMG_20230117_131527447.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I’ve struggled to stay upright on my feet today, whilst on any pavement or road around where I live and work, so if anyone has ventured out on a bike here then good luck to them!! Sheet and black ice 🥶

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I’ve struggled to stay upright on my feet today, whilst on any pavement or road around where I live and work, so if anyone has ventured out on a bike here then good luck to them!!
When it's really icy, it's safer to ride a bike with studded tyres than to walk.
... Until you want to put your foot down for stopping :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Studded tyres are really good. I did slip slightly twice yesterday, but one was where someone came off after I'd been past and was badly injured from a fall. I've got Snow Studs for the commuter with just over 100 studs per tyre, and a set of ice spikers for silly fun for the full suspension bike, with over 400 spikes per tyre ! Just insane grip. - I got both set's cheap in sales as RRP is eye watering !

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I missed the Wednesday pub-run yesterday as I was in Birmingham for a meeting (cycling stuff). Walking home from the railway station last night was sketchy.

Solocle

Über Member
IMG_5237.jpeg

Studded tyres finally got an exercise.
1674141888655.png

On the return leg I noticed that there were more cars on Upton Rd than on the bypass. So I cycled down the dual carriageway - All of two cars passed me.

It turns out that there's been a multi-car pile up at the roundabout indicated. I wonder why...
FmbVwsSWIAICnlj?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Do you go on your bike when the roads are covered with thin snow?

For some it's a thrill, for others a fright
To brave the cold and icy roads in the night
Your courage and strength will be tested with might

With flakes of white that shine like gold
They may dim your headlights and make you grow cold
Yet you must stay vigilant and remain bold

The wind may cut through you to your core
But take heart, this journey is not a bore
It's a challenge, a risk that you dare explore

Do you?

gavgav

Guru
When it's really icy, it's safer to ride a bike with studded tyres than to walk.
... Until you want to put your foot down for stopping :laugh:
Unfortunately I don’t have studded tyres Pat, but I think even with those I would have thought twice about it today. I resembled Bambi on ice at multiple times today 🤣. I wonder if @Rickshaw Phil ventured out on his?

Studded tyres are really good. I did slip slightly twice yesterday, but one was where someone came off after I'd been past and was badly injured from a fall. I've got Snow Studs for the commuter with just over 100 studs per tyre, and a set of ice spikers for silly fun for the full suspension bike, with over 400 spikes per tyre ! Just insane grip. - I got both set's cheap in sales as RRP is eye watering !

You're right about the RRP. On the other hand I've used mine for several years and they probably represent the main cost of commuting during that time. As they cost the same as a local public transport pass for one winter I reckon I'm still ahead.

And they really are remarkable for grip as you say; I've cycled oiver sheet ice without noticing it (at least until I put my foot down...)

Sixmile

Veteran
I went hunting some soft snow yesterday at lunch time and was able to find one or two roads that hadn't really been touched yet - really enjoyable

IMG_20230119_123848334.jpg

Last night involved a ride through town to indoor 3g pitch for some football and a few miles up a totally empty brand new road that is due to open today.

IMG_20230119_212520191[1].jpg

also a wee nip up a newly laid portion of shared path was I only discovered under the cover of darkness..

IMG_20230119_211505393.jpg

Top Bottom