Do you go on your bike when the roads are covered with thin snow ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I visit Northern Finland I do see people out and about on bikes in the towns. On the roads between towns, no. Generally ordinary looking town bikes. I've never examined the tyres.

There is a LOT of snow. It gets VERY cold. Roads are ploughed regularly and there are maintained packed trails for snowmobiles and pedestrians/kicksleds. There are also groomed trails for XC skiing. Of course all road vehicles have studded tyres.

The very low temperatures mean it's all quite different to the small amounts of wet snow we get in this country.

You know what?

15 pages in and I just realised, I go out on my bike what ever. Snow, ice, cold, heat, rain, floods, demise of the crown, wind, storms, strikes, pandemics, glorious summer days, bank holidays.... You name it and I probably will/have ridden anyway. It's just riding my bike without a song and dance. :rolleyes:

Me too. My takeaway from this thread is that people like us are courageous, hardcore and generally awesome.

The fact it was unintentional just adds to the coolness factor.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Me too. My takeaway from this thread is that people like us are courageous, hardcore and generally awesome.

1B1874AB-1A65-4385-8782-E918961F94FC.jpeg

Apparently Zwift never counts ;)

Found out today that our club Mileater trophy now includes stationary "miles" 🤦‍♂️

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Interesring week ahead. The roads round here still have plenty of standing water (I'm never far from the Thames!) ...
... and temps around -5'c are forecast.

Great.

Back to the commute tomorrow - bike has studs as my route is not gritted and has lots of water run off from the fields - I'll be glad for some dry commutes for a change.

Back to the commute tomorrow - bike has studs as my route is not gritted and has lots of water run off from the fields - I'll be glad for some dry commutes for a change.

Best of luck!

My route is mostly gritted ... if I used the "lovely" Sustrans option, I'd have standing water AND no grit. (On Friday it was impassable with floodwater.)
Getting off the estate is my biggest challenge, just have to walk that bit, annoying but not the end of the world (although I do wish the "artery" roads got gritted :angry: ).

Top Bottom