Do you guys have any medical conditions that could affect your cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

I'm actually type 1 diabetic (have been since i was 7yrs) but i don't let this get in the way of me cycling. However it could affect me if it was to have a hypo (low blood sugar) because myself when my bloods low. I get tingiling/shaking hands, tired, hungry, loose concentration and those that don't know if you don't treat it after those warning sings you can end up getting slurred speech, seizures, coma etc... So to avoid this i do less insulin the meal i've had before i cycle and i now i've started to test before cycling (even though it's not the law to unlike in a car i just prefer too. ). It also stops motorists thinking your drunk (as some people do think that according to google.) on the other end if my blood goes to high i personally can get annoyed at pretty much anyone and do stupid stuff so i try to avoid getting high incase i did something stupid or got cross at a stupid driver etc...
(Type 1 diabeties is a auto immune disease which attack the cells in the pancreas so therefor you can't produce any insulin. So i always have to test my blood and do insulin injections every time i eat and at bedtime
Feel free to share if you have any medical conditions?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

[QUOTE 5158313, member: 259"]Yes recovering from a knee injury + surgery. Not allowed to cycle except extreme looking, so that's pretty much that.[/QUOTE]
That's must be annoying. Did you get that injury from cycling or another reason?

vickster

Legendary Member
Lots of joint issues, seemingly inflammatory arthritis and the good old osteo variety in foot and knee

I get pain primarily, hills are most painful, restricts the distances I can do without a good rest

Drago

Legendary Member
Orthapaedic issues in my right arm/shoulder. Can affect grip, comfort, endurance, and for a while even my ability to ride at all.

Really bad Nurembergs that get caught in the spokes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Epilepsy, I'm usually the last to find out I've had a fit/seizure/episode. Plenty say I shouldn't be riding a bike because of it. But a line has to be drawn somewhere. Do I stop crossing the roads for the same reason?

Never had one whilst cycling though.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm actually type 1 diabetic (have been since i was 7yrs) but i don't let this get in the way of me cycling. However it could affect me if it was to have a hypo (low blood sugar) because myself when my bloods low. I get tingiling/shaking hands, tired, hungry, loose concentration and those that don't know if you don't treat it after those warning sings you can end up getting slurred speech, seizures, coma etc... So to avoid this i do less insulin the meal i've had before i cycle and i now i've started to test before cycling (even though it's not the law to unlike in a car i just prefer too. ). It also stops motorists thinking your drunk (as some people do think that according to google.) on the other end if my blood goes to high i personally can get annoyed at pretty much anyone and do stupid stuff so i try to avoid getting high incase i did something stupid or got cross at a stupid driver etc...
(Type 1 diabeties is a auto immune disease which attack the cells in the pancreas so therefor you can't produce any insulin. So i always have to test my blood and do insulin injections every time i eat and at bedtime
Feel free to share if you have any medical conditions?
From what you have said there it sounds like every human on the planet other than your pancreas is not producing insulin .

Colin_P

Guru
Dodgy heart, heart electrics not heart plumbing (as yet). I have an embedded defib/pacemaker and take sh*t tonnes of drugs which give me a chemically governed maximum heart rate of about 115bpm. Over the last five years I've dropped dead once a year and been shocked back to life by the implanted defib. One of the drugs I have to take is a really nasty one and can have lots of very unpleasant side effects, one of which (liver damage) I've just been given a referal to Chemical Pathology. It makes getting up out of the chair and out on the bike a bit tricky sometimes.

Slow and steady lets the dog see the rabbit with me.

gbb

Legendary Member
Caught tuberculosis about 4 or 5 years ago which led to pneumonia and pleuisy. All treated long since but two years off the bike, a loss of stamina and a sore side if I exercise heavy (permanent lung adhesion) leave me struggling somewhat.

Now I have osteo arthritis which leaves me incredibly stiff and sore in the morning...and tired and achy at the end of the work day.

Going to restart my 14 mile each way commute once the weather improves....but it' going to be hard :blush:

Top Bottom