Do you guys have any medical conditions that could affect your cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Other than a big Titanium rod holding my Leg together and a non-union fracture in my left Collarbone and Arthritis I'm fine.

Yep, except for the damaged spinal cord through C4-C6, I’m also absolutely fine.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Recently diagnosed peripheral vascular disease. Numerous arteries affected including femoral and iliac both legs. Serious surgery possible, but potentially risky - even possible amputation/s. Hence conservative approach currently, but cycling now restricted to painful few miles - 8 miles the other day, best this year! It's a bu99er!

Jody

Stubborn git
Asthma. On some bike rides I will be fine and on others I will be coughing my lungs up.

Same here but mainly in winter. Never had it until a few years ago and some nights it can be really bad when I get back inside. Have to keep remembering my inhaler and buff when the temps are really low.

Other than that its mainly my back that cuases issues but I find oddly even when I struggle to walk biking is OK ish if I stay in the saddle. When its gone though I wont be doing anything other than taking tablets and struggling to walk at a very jaunty angle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Licramite

Über Member
[QUOTE 5158325, member: 259"]Not from cycling, it's a hereditary knee thing they think, so they took a few bits out to avoid big problems coming up, but seems to be going OK.[/QUOTE]
You can get bikes that operate using your arms I believe, maybe an electric bike might be the answer
I cracked my patella year before last and its only end of last year it finally shorted itself out. - cycling seems to be self defeating - but I blame it on pedal clips -bloody lethal they is.

Apart from that I had a heart valve problem for years , but its fixed know , its a bit of pig.

ozboz

Guru
lower left leg muscle atrophy and nerve problem , but only restricts riding out of saddle , just working on it with Ankling , something I have just the other day on another thread , but a mere itch on the nose compared to some CCers problems , so I'll shut up and put up !!

C R

Guru
I'm actually type 1 diabetic (have been since i was 7yrs) but i don't let this get in the way of me cycling. However it could affect me if it was to have a hypo (low blood sugar) because myself when my bloods low. I get tingiling/shaking hands, tired, hungry, loose concentration and those that don't know if you don't treat it after those warning sings you can end up getting slurred speech, seizures, coma etc... So to avoid this i do less insulin the meal i've had before i cycle and i now i've started to test before cycling (even though it's not the law to unlike in a car i just prefer too. ). It also stops motorists thinking your drunk (as some people do think that according to google.) on the other end if my blood goes to high i personally can get annoyed at pretty much anyone and do stupid stuff so i try to avoid getting high incase i did something stupid or got cross at a stupid driver etc...
(Type 1 diabeties is a auto immune disease which attack the cells in the pancreas so therefor you can't produce any insulin. So i always have to test my blood and do insulin injections every time i eat and at bedtime
Feel free to share if you have any medical conditions?

Type 1 here as well, though I was an old fart (22) when I was diagnosed. Take the same precautions you mention. Once had a hypo during a ride, just couldn't concentrate on the road. Stopped, filled up with glucose tablets and waited until my head stopped buzzing. Since then I am more careful about testing before setting off.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Type 1 here as well, though I was an old fart (22) when I was diagnosed. Take the same precautions you mention. Once had a hypo during a ride, just couldn't concentrate on the road. Stopped, filled up with glucose tablets and waited until my head stopped buzzing. Since then I am more careful about testing before setting off.
It isn't just diabetics who suffer that problem - I have experienced it on several occasions and it isn't nice! (A.K.A. 'Bonking', 'The Knock' or 'Being Hit By The Man With The Hammer'.)

I had problems with blood clots which left me with a damaged left leg. It doesn't really affect my cycling much but my leg can get very swollen if I don't elevate it when I am not moving.

I think I may have the same kind of lung adhesion that @gbb mentioned above. I have a permanent sensation of pressure in my left lung which was the more badly damaged of the 2. I can't make the same kind of extreme efforts on the bike that I used to - If I try, I get short of breath much more easily and my heart rhythm goes wonky. It doesn't hold me back in everyday cycling, but it means that I am never able to keep up with fit riders when they up their pace.

C R

Guru
It isn't just diabetics who suffer that problem - I have experienced it on several occasions and it isn't nice! (A.K.A. 'Bonking', 'The Knock' or 'Being Hit By The Man With The Hammer'.)

I had problems with blood clots which left me with a damaged left leg. It doesn't really affect my cycling much but my leg can get very swollen if I don't elevate it when I am not moving.

Yep, I remember when I was diagnosed a friend that was into cycling (I wasn't then) describing those symptoms. I guess the difference is that for a healthy rider you are only likely to suffer that in a long, hard ride. For a diabetic it will happen if the insulin injected is not matched to the level of exercise and food intake. When it happened to me I was out on a puny eight mile ride.

gbb

Legendary Member

I think I may have the same kind of lung adhesion that @gbb mentioned above. I have a permanent sensation of pressure in my left lung which was the more badly damaged of the 2. I can't make the same kind of extreme efforts on the bike that I used to - If I try, I get short of breath much more easily and my heart rhythm goes wonky. It doesn't hold me back in everyday cycling, but it means that I am never able to keep up with fit riders when they up their pace.
Ironically I had someone say to me once, your legs are the most important bit with cycling.
They're not, the lungs are I replied.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Mines ulcerative colitis..and B12
I just dont have long ride stamina or a lot of fizz,which annoys me ,i can do steady but i want to go at it like a 25 yr old but it wont happen, i just go flat and cant recover ..

Im very fit compared to a lot so i cant really grumble

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yep, I remember when I was diagnosed a friend that was into cycling (I wasn't then) describing those symptoms. I guess the difference is that for a healthy rider you are only likely to suffer that in a long, hard ride. For a diabetic it will happen if the insulin injected is not matched to the level of exercise and food intake. When it happened to me I was out on a puny eight mile ride.
Yes, I would have to be riding hard for at least 2-3 hours without having eaten/drunk enough for it to happen.

Top Bottom