Do you guys have any medical conditions that could affect your cycling?

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Randombiker9, 20 Feb 2018.

1. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Caught tuberculosis about 4 or 5 years ago which led to pneumonia and pleuisy. All treated long since but two years off the bike, a loss of stamina and a sore side if I exercise heavy (permanent lung adhesion) leave me struggling somewhat.

Now I have osteo arthritis which leaves me incredibly stiff and sore in the morning...and tired and achy at the end of the work day.

Going to restart my 14 mile each way commute once the weather improves....but it' going to be hard :blush:

ADarkDraconis and raleighnut like this.
  2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Amen brother. I feel your pain.

Drago likes this.
  3. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Other than a big Titanium rod holding my Leg together and a non-union fracture in my left Collarbone and Arthritis I'm fine.

ADarkDraconis, ozboz and classic33 like this.
  4. Shortandcrisp

Shortandcrisp Senior Member

Yep, except for the damaged spinal cord through C4-C6, I’m also absolutely fine.

5. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Asthma. On some bike rides I will be fine and on others I will be coughing my lungs up.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  6. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Recently diagnosed peripheral vascular disease. Numerous arteries affected including femoral and iliac both legs. Serious surgery possible, but potentially risky - even possible amputation/s. Hence conservative approach currently, but cycling now restricted to painful few miles - 8 miles the other day, best this year! It's a bu99er!

7. Jody

Jody Über legend of a forum GOD!

Same here but mainly in winter. Never had it until a few years ago and some nights it can be really bad when I get back inside. Have to keep remembering my inhaler and buff when the temps are really low.

Other than that its mainly my back that cuases issues but I find oddly even when I struggle to walk biking is OK ish if I stay in the saddle. When its gone though I wont be doing anything other than taking tablets and struggling to walk at a very jaunty angle.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2018
    ADarkDraconis and Welsh wheels like this.
  8. Nigel-YZ1

Nigel-YZ1 Guru

Another asthmatic here. The preventer works most of the time, and I tell the doctor what dosage works, not the other way round. It's never stopped me getting on the bike.

9. Licramite

Licramite Über Member

You can get bikes that operate using your arms I believe, maybe an electric bike might be the answer
    I cracked my patella year before last and its only end of last year it finally shorted itself out. - cycling seems to be self defeating - but I blame it on pedal clips -bloody lethal they is.

Apart from that I had a heart valve problem for years , but its fixed know , its a bit of pig.

ADarkDraconis and gbb like this.
  10. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

lower left leg muscle atrophy and nerve problem , but only restricts riding out of saddle , just working on it with Ankling , something I have just the other day on another thread , but a mere itch on the nose compared to some CCers problems , so I'll shut up and put up !!

ADarkDraconis, gbb and Drago like this.
  11. C R

C R Senior Member

Type 1 here as well, though I was an old fart (22) when I was diagnosed. Take the same precautions you mention. Once had a hypo during a ride, just couldn't concentrate on the road. Stopped, filled up with glucose tablets and waited until my head stopped buzzing. Since then I am more careful about testing before setting off.

ADarkDraconis and gbb like this.
  12. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

I suffer from toofartigo.

(Oh, and I also have kidney disease and the meds affect my energy levels.)

13. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

It isn't just diabetics who suffer that problem - I have experienced it on several occasions and it isn't nice! (A.K.A. 'Bonking', 'The Knock' or 'Being Hit By The Man With The Hammer'.)

I had problems with blood clots which left me with a damaged left leg. It doesn't really affect my cycling much but my leg can get very swollen if I don't elevate it when I am not moving.

I think I may have the same kind of lung adhesion that @gbb mentioned above. I have a permanent sensation of pressure in my left lung which was the more badly damaged of the 2. I can't make the same kind of extreme efforts on the bike that I used to - If I try, I get short of breath much more easily and my heart rhythm goes wonky. It doesn't hold me back in everyday cycling, but it means that I am never able to keep up with fit riders when they up their pace.

ADarkDraconis, gbb and C R like this.
  14. C R

C R Senior Member

Yep, I remember when I was diagnosed a friend that was into cycling (I wasn't then) describing those symptoms. I guess the difference is that for a healthy rider you are only likely to suffer that in a long, hard ride. For a diabetic it will happen if the insulin injected is not matched to the level of exercise and food intake. When it happened to me I was out on a puny eight mile ride.

15. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Ironically I had someone say to me once, your legs are the most important bit with cycling.
    They're not, the lungs are I replied.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice