Do you guys have any medical conditions that could affect your cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I know Vickster has a lot of experience in this area, so it will be interesting to hear his comments.

Blimey! Is Arch a woman?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You can get bikes that operate using your arms I believe,
Yeah, handcycles. I've been on a few group rides with a recumbent handcyclist. It's kind of odd seeing the derailleur upside down but that trike's a work of art. I can't keep up with him when he really goes but he's very kind and slows down to ride with us heavyweights ;)

gbb

Legendary Member
A reminder for me of the after effects....a small ride Saturday after a lean winter (mileage wise) and Christ my side is hurting when I inhale.
Not sure if it feels like pleuisy again or just a pulled muscle...but it's exactly where my lung adhesion is.
Monitoring it quite closely, breathing cold air may have irritated it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've struggled with the question. I've two conditions that could affect my cycling but don't normally. One is random and can be controlled by eschewing certain current fashions. The other doesn't directly affect it but the statin treatment I suffered for it for 10+ years led to extreme muscle pain, mostly while cycling.

Reactions: gbb

byegad

Legendary Member
At over 65, my repeat prescription list has just hit page 5. Many of my ailments are minor, transient but repeating at odd intervals.

However I do have hypertension, arthritis and asthma that are potential issues while cycling. At the moment the asthma has the possibility of 'an upgrade' to COPD. So I'm not riding at the moment.

Alan O

Über Member
Yeah, handcycles. I've been on a few group rides with a recumbent handcyclist. It's kind of odd seeing the derailleur upside down but that trike's a work of art. I can't keep up with him when he really goes but he's very kind and slows down to ride with us heavyweights ;)
I met a guy riding a hand-powered trike a year or so ago. Using hands for both power and steering looked like an impossible act of coordination to me, but he'd mastered it and was able to go at an impressive pace.

Alan O

Über Member
I have a condition that potentially could affect my cycling, but fortunately doesn't - cardiovascular disease. I had a heart attack and quadruple bypass 11 years ago, but the new plumbing works fine and I don't suffer any ill effects - and I don't have to adjust my cycling (or any other activities) because of it.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Well the Gender mistake and then the inter forum stalking gave me a laugh!!

I have too many at the moment I have cycled in the last 12 months less than a normal month :-( Planning to try and get the swing of it going again once it warms up a bit not sure freezing wind on my face would help much at the moment,

Top Bottom