Do you guys have any medical conditions that could affect your cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
Mines ulcerative colitis..and B12
I just dont have long ride stamina or a lot of fizz,which annoys me ,i can do steady but i want to go at it like a 25 yr old but it wont happen, i just go flat and cant recover ..

Im very fit compared to a lot so i cant really grumble

As a fellow UC sufferer you have my sympathy. I had a botched op to remove my colon and ended up with a poorly performing ileoanal pouch which means any ride of a decent distance needs a day's warning so I can fast. All very frustrating.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
BTW @PenttitheFinn I should tell you I lived with a girl from Jyvaskyla for 3 years, I can swear quite well in Finnish. ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll leave the bit missing out of my L1 following a big accident.. It makes me very cautious/in pain and I can't ride 5000 miles a year, more like 800...but off road, so they count like 20x :tongue: :bicycle:^_^^_^

One "married man's op", went wrong. Further surgery. Now have to take meds to get hormones near low normal, otherwise totally knackered ! Literally. :eek: Never again.. such a stupid situation

Other than that, still walking and cycling. Can't complain. Might not have been able to do it. ^_^ I'm still not on the settee in horrible weather, like most people...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An after effect from epilepsy as a kid is riding in winter when the sun is low and the light flickers with tree and hedge branches. I have to look away from the flickering light, which is roughly 90° away from the direction I'm heading. This can be a little exciting sometimes!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
An after effect from epilepsy as a kid is riding in winter when the sun is low and the light flickers with tree and hedge branches. I have to look away from the flickering light, which is roughly 90° away from the direction I'm heading. This can be a little exciting sometimes!
That reminds me that I've actually got some eye conditions that are helpful to cycling! Firstly, I'm oversensitive to contrast, so I can read roadsigns from daft distances, especially reflective ones.

Secondly, in very bright sunshine, I can still see where I'm going but a sort of reversed... but that's not only helpful on cycleways, not carriageways because any following motorists still can't see.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have never suffered from epilepsy but I do sometimes have that problem with the low sun and trees, and also with heavy-duty fences.

PenttitheFinn

BTW @PenttitheFinn I should tell you I lived with a girl from Jyvaskyla for 3 years, I can swear quite well in Finnish. ^_^
In truth I have lived in the UK all my life, but have spent a lot of time there. One of my cousins daughters lives in Jyvaskyla, and I will be in Lapland at the end of the month when she will also be visiting, but no cycling this time, unlike last summer when I was chased by horseflies when cycling the forest tracks in 30degs temp:sweat: Hölkyn kölkyn

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I have a tumor on my right hip, right at the joint, that is benign but sizeable and due to its pressure it sometimes gives me hip pain. My lungs are shot due to growing up with heavy chain smoking parents while being allergic to cigarette smoke and then also having pneumonia as a child in combination- they are my biggest weakness in any activity and it makes me angry. I am deaf in one ear so I never hear cars coming up (a rearview mirror is necessity for me!). I have small rocks embedded in one knee from a childhood crash and they sometimes grind against the bone so a bit of knee pain at times. Also strangely I have a toe on each foot (the ones next to each big toe) where the socket is too shallow so my toes will just randomly pop out of socket! It is a hereditary thing, my brother and daughter have it on the exact same toes. It is terribly inconvenient when it happens not only cycling but while walking around at work, driving, or having that toe-curling moment at home...

Overall just little crackly stuff, and others that don't come into play while cycling, but I consider myself fairly healthy and active. Good on everyone here for not letting physical stuff get in the way of what you love!!!

Julia9054

Guru
Relatively serious but well controlled asthma.
I have beta-agonist blood levels that would make Chris Froome look like he's just playing at it! One of the side effects of all the medication is a fast heart rate. Don't know if that affects my cycling or not but I decided to stop measuring it as it was turning me into a hypochondriac!
The only real effect is that I don't cycle when I have a cold as it turning into a chest infection would be relatively more serious for me. I don't get colds all that often as I work in a school and therefore have the immune system of an ox!

Top Bottom