Do you have to use cycle paths?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Once the elections are over I will try writing to a councillor - or the new City Region Mayor - you never know!
I did try a helpful councillor a few months ago - but her constituancy was changing to not include us so she didn't seem bothered anymore!
Writing to candidates during the campaign is more work but more likely to get good answers.

DRM

Guru
A lot of fishing gents are extremely strong, muscular chaps, there's every chance they won't move, the cyclists will end up in the canal with a written off bike
This seems to have been edited by a.n other, why is this?

Some fishermen round here set up camp by the canal in a way that resembles a small Roman encampment rather than a shelter for a day out
Not too bad for people walking as they just have to be careful where they put their feet - but bike wheels follow a continuous path so a rod laid across the path is a problem.
To be fair they have always rushed to clear the way if I ring my bell and slow down - never any aggression - but I do wonder about the amount of space some of them take up.
Actually I have seen a small group of older fishermen who seem to gather in the area around Moore who take up less space between 6-8 of them than some of the locals around Widnes take per person!!!

Fish do exists in the local canals
I know this because I stopped for a drink a while ago and some fishing person was about 20-30 yards away - after a bit he started shouting to me. I had no clue what he was on about so I went to see.
Turned out he wanted me to take a photo of him with a pike he had just caught
Can't blame him - the thing was over 3 foot long!
and if that can live in the canal there must be enough for it to eat and grow that big!

bladesman73

Über Member
A lot of fishing gents are extremely strong, muscular chaps, there's every chance they won't move, the cyclists will end up in the canal with a written off bike
Lolz, not in my area, most of them look like crackheads trying to find something to eat for dinner 🤣

Solocle

Über Member
Cycle lanes here are often really good

Then they loose it with little things like the lane ending with no notice so you end up on a pavement
or really good cycle ways starting but there being no indication that it is there - in one case (Silver Jubilee Bridge) followed by a sign saying the lane is now live and walkers and cyclists should use the lane provided - the lane started some time before with no notice!

There is also a good cycle lane going through the industrial area - so interrupted by factory/workshop gates every few meters with 1 inch kerbs that are jarring on my hybrid ebike with front suspension - on a road bike it would be horrendous
And over half of my punctures since I moved here have been on that path - normally by random bits of metal - I use the road now!

So - round here - it is a case of knowing which one to use and where they are because you can;t rely on the signs - and knowing which ones to avoid

Once the elections are over I will try writing to a councillor - or the new City Region Mayor - you never know!
I did try a helpful councillor a few months ago - but her constituancy was changing to not include us so she didn't seem bothered anymore!
It's all about local knowledge - for instance, on Sunday, doing a century, and crossing the New Forest on the A35.
Shared Path

I figured that if a chap on a road bike was cruising past me on it, it was probably safe to use.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's all about local knowledge - for instance, on Sunday, doing a century, and crossing the New Forest on the A35.
Shared Path

I figured that if a chap on a road bike was cruising past me on it, it was probably safe to use.
Its generally the urban ones that are rubbish and or shared use cluttered with pedestrians and wheelie bins

mustang1

Guru
They are only complementing the OP. Those guys are from a different culture.

Ya know like when you see a Lambo and you see "whoa that is the shxt". Obvsly it's not crap, they are using that word to mean it's good.

Or, that's sick, toean that's good.

Same deal here. They are only swearing at you toeam how awesome you are. Don't worry about it!

Top Bottom