Do you have to use cycle paths?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've always known that, since the 70s, I've lost count of the number of cars that have overtaken me multiple times in town only for me to pass them again when they're stopped by other cars. Some drivers attempt to prevent bikes progress by positioning their vehicle really close to the kerb to attempt to prevent us passing but a savvy rider can easily switch to their 'offside' to get by their little box on wheels.

I think they're jealous really. :bicycle:

hatler

Guru
What warning do you expect? You can see where it's going and choose to leave it earlier if you think it best.

Anyway, the usual problem with English cycle lanes is that they stop three or four car lengths before the junction, which means they're not directly a cause of the collision. The best cycleways continue around some junctions to avoid them.

I expect nothing from cycle lane infrastructure. I presume it's going to abandon me at some point in the unseen distance. And on that basis I will avoid using it unless I know before I go on it that it provides me a clear and obvious benefit.

For newbie cyclists I think it's a pretty mean trick to pull - provide them with a tempting looking safe cycle lane, and cosset them along a busy highway (where there's no actual benefit from the cycle lane) and then, at the critical moment, dump them, usually without warning, into the most dangerous place on the road. Shabby behaviour at best, virtually criminally negligent at worst.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think I understand what you're
saying yet surely the very existence of the cycleway in such place creates an extra hazzard for the cyclists. If we properly part of the traffic the rist would be lower. Such lanes arguable might improve the already safe riding along straight bit but surely increase the risk at junctions for left-hookings say
I don't see how that it's "surely". I'm a fairly keen user of cycleways (although I've seen enough shoot ones in places Lincolnshire and Nuneaton to avoid the worst on sight) and probably I've done most of my urban cycling on them (grew up near MK, moved to Norwich, now riding mostly King's Lynn), yet I've been left-hooked on road far far more often than on cycleways. If a Must Get In Front motorist is determined to overtake and turn left, often despite oncoming traffic, I can ride up to 2.5m out and it still doesn't stop them. Any more than that and some start overtaking on the left.

Whether a cycleway at a junction raises or lowers the risk depends on the design: a good design can turn a potential left-hook-or-T-bone situation on the carriageway into a good-visibility crossroads a car length's back in the side road or bypass some traffic lights; a bad design can relegate cyclists to the fringes of driver attention and leave them entering a junction from a surprising direction in a way that makes it difficult for the rider to spot a looming careless driver.

I'd estimate that more English junction designs are bad than good but that more common than good or bad is probably the basic British cycling design abortion: merging the cycleway into the carriageway badly (bad visibility angles and priority given to the most lethal) too close to a junction. At the very least, that should be stamped out: if they won't build it with the overtaking motorist giving way at the merge, or at least clearly-marked merge-in-turn, it would probably be better not to build the easy straight bit either.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Until we get rid of this attitude that Cyclists are some sort of 2nd class citizens that 'Can't afford a car' and have to have special provisions made for their 'hobby' then we are on a hiding to nothing'

Bikes were around long before cars.
Why does that not apply to motorists? Why aren't motorways "special provision for their hobby" that has to be made for these "2nd class citizens that can't afford a" bike?

There have been different types of highway since legal rights of way were created. Cycleways are just another type, basically urban tarmac bridleways, or carriageways that are too small for modern horseless carriages. I had great fun just after lockdown ended, cycling along West End in March, Cambs. Technically, most of that's a carriageway, but good luck fitting a modern car along it! https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/665538

ozboz

Guru
There is an A road just west of Heathrow , I can’t remember which one it is , but it is an absolute disaster area for cyclists ,glass , bits of trees general rubbish etc , I doubt anyone other than pedestrians would venture on it ,
I use the ones on the A 316 they are in general pretty good from Hammersmith to Hanwell

Baldy

Über Member
I often drive up over the Drumochter pass on the A9 between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie. The NCN route 7 runs parallel to the main road here. I've noticed that it's been resurfaced recently and the many small bridges over all the side streams have been replaced. Each bridge has a small wooden post either end of it. On the south side of the pass (Perthshire council, I think) the post is by the side of the track. On the northern side (Highland council) it's right in the middle. I've not ridden it but from the road it doesn't look like there's room to get a bike with panniers on through between the post and the bridge.

Fram

I often drive up over the Drumochter pass on the A9 between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie. The NCN route 7 runs parallel to the main road here. I've noticed that it's been resurfaced recently and the many small bridges over all the side streams have been replaced. Each bridge has a small wooden post either end of it. On the south side of the pass (Perthshire council, I think) the post is by the side of the track. On the northern side (Highland council) it's right in the middle. I've not ridden it but from the road it doesn't look like there's room to get a bike with panniers on through between the post and the bridge.
I've just checked and the offending bollards have all been removed. Most of the section -apart from the old A9 bits-has been resurfaced again. Therefore most of the ride over Drumochter is beautifully smooth. I'm guessing the work was done in the second half of last year.

Johnno260

Veteran
The cycle lanes in Tunbridge Wells where I work are just awful, the new one near my work people park on them anyway so useless.

It’s safer to use the road.

The biggest threat on our local canal paths, all beautifully tarmaced is eastern European fishermen .... Their very friendly, but usually very drunk, passing bottles of brandy and vodka between themselves as their fishing and occasionally lighting fires to cook huge sausages .. male and female their chosen day for drunken fishing seems to be Sundays .... its the rods .... you never know when one will be coming your way ...^_^
where is this charming sylvan idyll?
Do they never catch any fish?
Just sausages?

Was shouted at just the other day for not being on one.
I generally avoid for all the reasons stated above - lousy surface, multiple multiple crossings/interfaces with side side roads/people's drives.
Some of the new ones in London are very good, pretty wide, good surface, well swept and maintained, well signalled - but these are ones that have been taken from roadspace, not just painted over motley rubble.

DRM

Guru
Simply shout "NO BRAKES!" and kick them into the water as you go past.
A lot of fishing gents are extremely strong, muscular chaps, there's every chance they won't move, the cyclists will end up in the canal with a written off bike

Last edited by a moderator:
Cycle lanes here are often really good

Then they loose it with little things like the lane ending with no notice so you end up on a pavement
or really good cycle ways starting but there being no indication that it is there - in one case (Silver Jubilee Bridge) followed by a sign saying the lane is now live and walkers and cyclists should use the lane provided - the lane started some time before with no notice!

There is also a good cycle lane going through the industrial area - so interrupted by factory/workshop gates every few meters with 1 inch kerbs that are jarring on my hybrid ebike with front suspension - on a road bike it would be horrendous
And over half of my punctures since I moved here have been on that path - normally by random bits of metal - I use the road now!

So - round here - it is a case of knowing which one to use and where they are because you can;t rely on the signs - and knowing which ones to avoid

Once the elections are over I will try writing to a councillor - or the new City Region Mayor - you never know!
I did try a helpful councillor a few months ago - but her constituancy was changing to not include us so she didn't seem bothered anymore!

Top Bottom