Do you have to use cycle paths?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Steve - life is far too short to even try to do so. If someone says/shouts something which isn't 'true' just wave and shout a cheery 'good morning' or 'have a good ride' (or whatever). I think we can all agree that it would be nice to be able to ride on cyclepaths without the aggravations (surface, debris, obstructions, 'Give Ways', design wiggles, other users :rolleyes:) but we live, in UK anyway, in the real world. And a cyclist who takes on the load of 'explaining the law' to others is on an infinite road (;)) to personal frustration. I'm with @Drago here: have a 'ready to deliver' positive greeting in your response quiver, and ride on, on path or road "in a way that is considerate to the comfort and safety of others".
i find 4 words sufficient the middle ones 'off you' and the other 2 at each end have 4 letters.:becool:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
As we approached a junction two blokes on bikes on the cycle path started to shout at us to use the cycle path calling us a variety of names.

This sounds like it might be a rare encounter with two of those motorists 'who are cyclists themselves' on the one day of the year that they are actually cycling.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Probably on their electric MTB's .........:rolleyes:
Or their mega expensive 'Land Rover' BSOs :rolleyes:

1593610195955.png

What price 'branding' :laugh:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Last year I had a twonk yell at me from his car that I should 'Ride on the pavement!' (Not the cycle lane, you'll note - there wasn't one - but footpath.) Genius!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Worth a scan of this thread (from 2011!): https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/18mph-in-cycle-lanes.77660/
Got a current link @DCLane ? @mjr

One bullet in @HLaB link says: "Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road." This was a DfT consultation (2009) so maybe it's now in 'harder' print?
Nope. Rightly flamed to a well done crisp and discarded. Doesn't stop the Cycleway haters bringing it up repeatedly, like a drunk with a dodgy kebab.

Cycleways should be designed and maintained for 20 mph unless there's good reason but many (possibly most) aren't. There's no formal speed limit and I've done 33 mph on a clear straight flat one...

Dwn

Cycle paths near me are either shared use, or 18 inch strips at the edge of the road. The former are fine for slow progress (large numbers of pedestrians and rough surfaces) and the latter are death traps. If you want to move at any speed, then the main carriageway is the best and lawful way to do it.

mjr

Cycle paths near me are either shared use, or 18 inch strips at the edge of the road. The former are fine for slow progress (large numbers of pedestrians and rough surfaces) and the latter are death traps. If you want to move at any speed, then the main carriageway is the best and lawful way to do it.
Yes, I agree. Don't let cycling be corralled into congested places or the gutter just because some Daffodil paints a bike symbol on it.

Still no need to make up speed limits that might deter people using the decent ones like National 51 St Ives to Cambridge, though.

mjr

...as do many of us. I’m planning to do some videos using our local cycling infrastructure to illustrate the point.
Can't you find something positive to do instead?

I've made one or two whinge videos but they were at least to inform HE and local elected reps what needed fixing.

Top Bottom