Do you know what I mean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I'm never going to speak to you, if you know what I mean. You see right through people, if you get my drift.
I've got your cards marked, sunshine.;)

sight-pin

Veteran
So! Onward and upwards. I too have used these idioms or what ever they're called.
Another fad we seem to go through is when a catchy new word starts buzzing around,
A few years back remember the "Pedantic" syndrome? ......every conversation i heard all of a sudden contained this blasted word........ I felt like going to doctors for an anti "pedantic" inoculation. lol

Globalti

Legendary Member
"I was, like, literally... wow!" - Irritating lazy-speak for people who think it's cool not to express themselves clearly.

"Cheers mate fanksalot!" - Over-effusive and too pally.

....and don't get me started on people who drop the Ts from their words because they still have to use Ts in some places, as in: "going to do some marke-ing", which proves what a stupid affectation it is.

yello

You're obviously pretty well versed in such things Moon bunny. Language use is any interest of mine too.

I think it far to say we all have our traits, our personal 'isms' that mark us out. I like it, even if I do sometimes find it irritating! We also adopt usages pretty quickly to show that we belong. Or use other forms to show the exact opposite. And we've all heard, I expect, our own accents strengthen when talking to our 'own kind'. Or we might try and sound more 'posh' to distance ourselves. We all talk differently in different circumstances to different people. Consider how you might talk to a loved one as compared to talking to the police, or a judge!

My own 'ism' (and it is accentuated and deliberate) is to say 'anyway' (pronounced 'EN-y-way', stress on the first syllable) after I've been rambling a while.

Anyway...

Cheddar George

oober member
A South African who ended every sentence with "Yeh !" ........... used to drive me mad.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"So, the spear-Danes in days gone by
And the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness"

Fancy a nobel literature prizewinner wording a translation in such a sloppy way.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
People reporting a phone conversation..

"I turned around and said,....
and she turned around and said.. so I turned around and said...and then she turned around and said...."

I do hope you were using a cordless phone - otherwise, you'd both have garrotted yourselves with all that turning around !

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
There are so many phrases that drive me nuts... Here are a few from my office and others...

"Like, it was like, like like like"
"The bottom line is"
"Obviously"
"Am I right in thinking"

I could go on for a while, but most of the time I stick my headphones in and pretend I'm in a happy place.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
"At the end of the day"... meaning "when everything else has been taken into consideration", as in
"At the end of the day, I like my breakfast early" (see what I did there?)
or
"At the end of the day, Miss Goodbody is a lady, with a lady's needs"
or
"At the end of the day, Arsene Wenger is Arsene Wenger, know what I mean, innit?"

Someone I know ends most sentences with as such.

It is totally without meaning and adds nothing, as such.

It drives me mad, as such.

His grown up son does it too, as such.

Top Bottom