Do you label your inner tubes??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Supplementary question.

How do you roll or fold your inner tubes?
Flat, in a roll? How do you expel all the air etc

That's a whole new thread right there!

figbat

Slippery scientist
The scenario:

I now have several 700c bikes with presta valves, and no tube will work across all the tyres I run.
(I think the range is now 25-40mm)
There is also the stem length issue ... but let's solve one problem at a time...

So, anyone solve this by labelling their spares with the size therein??

I use a chalk pen to mark the tubes. In my fleet I have:

700C x 28mm
700C x 35mm
700C x 40mm
29 x 2.4"
27.5 x 2.2"
26 x 1.95"
24 x ?? (can't remember)
20 x 1 3/8"

Labelling tubes is imperative, especially if we go out for a family ride and I have to carry all the spares - there's usually at least three different tyre sizes if we do that. Some of the above are set up tubeless but I always carry a tube anyway (so far never had to use one).

Alex321

Veteran
I only have two bikes, one with 700c x 28 and the other with 700c x 38 tyres. The one with the narrower tyres also has fairly deep section rims, so needs 40mm+ valve stems, while the other is old-style standard depth, so it is fairly clear which bike any tube goes with.

Front
Back

Nice - much simpler than @Fab Foodie 's absurd system.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use a chalk pen to mark the tubes. In my fleet I have:

700C x 28mm
700C x 35mm
700C x 40mm
29 x 2.4"
27.5 x 2.2"
26 x 1.95"
24 x ?? (can't remember)
20 x 1 3/8"

Labelling tubes is imperative, especially if we go out for a family ride and I have to carry all the spares - there's usually at least three different tyre sizes if we do that. Some of the above are set up tubeless but I always carry a tube anyway (so far never had to use one).

You do know most tubes have the size printed on, OK it's usually folded away, but visually they can be quite different.

You do know most tubes have the size printed on, OK it's usually folded away, but visually they can be quite different.

But if they're quite similar - as clearly shown in the post you quoted - you need to read the size. Which - as you correctly state - is

usually folded away.

:banghead:

Is this really as hard to understand as you're making out? If the OP just had a pile of really skinny tubes, and a pile of really fat ones with a different type of valve, there wouldn't be an issue, would there?!?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But if they're quite similar - as clearly shown in the post you quoted - you need to read the size. Which - as you correctly state - is

usually folded away.

:banghead:

Is this really as hard to understand as you're making out? If the OP just had a pile of really skinny tubes, and a pile of really fat ones with a different type of valve, there wouldn't be an issue, would there?!?

I have a suggestion. It's a bit crazy, but hear me out.

Why don't you try labelling your inner tubes, so you know which is which?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I get round the different sizes with unused tubes still in boxes in the garage. Tubes in use (as spares) either sit in a different rucksack/camelbak for both MTB's. Road bikes take same tubes so that doesn't matter. The 26" tubes sit in either my panniers or a rucksack I use for that bike. The 27.5's are in a camelbak as that bike is used for totally different stuff (so more kit in that pack as I usually do longer/more off grid rides). Then both road bikes just have the same tube/puncture pack I take out with me.

Top Bottom