Do you label your inner tubes??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The scenario:

I now have several 700c bikes with presta valves, and no tube will work across all the tyres I run.
(I think the range is now 25-40mm)
There is also the stem length issue ... but let's solve one problem at a time...

So, anyone solve this by labelling their spares with the size therein??

Sharky

Guru
I don't really have that problem. My tyres vary from 23mm to 28mm. Always buy the smallest and they sem to fit them all.

As for valve lengths, always get the longest I can find. All my rims are deep section, but one of my rims is Really deep and no valve would be long enough. For this, I use a valve extender, which is left permanently screwed on the valve. The little screw nut is left unscrewed inside the rim. At first I was afraid, I was petrified (sorry, getting carried away) but a high pressure is maintained from week to week.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Recently just ‘converted’ 3 bikes in the fleet (All 700c) to one size of inner-tube that covers all 3 bikes tyre sizes [28-32]. And a valve length that works in all 3 too. So one single type of tube covers those 3: which makes having spares around, and a tube carried on each bike in case of a puncture etc; much much easier.

The MTB is the only one of the bikes on Schrader valves. And the other bike (Also 700c) is on mega deep rims and needs a super long valve.

So all in all: 2 types of Presta: and one Schrader across 5 bikes. About as simplified as I could make it……..

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Absolutely, I've slimmed down the fleet nowadays, but at one time I had 18", 20", 26" proper, 26" MTB, 700 and another I can't even remember (it was a 1937 butcher's boy bike). Add in various widths and it gets confusing really quickly.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You wouldn't have this problem if you went tubeless.
:smile:
(Runs away cackling manically)

Stole my comment..........🤣

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Perhaps the question is, why wouldn't you?

IMG_20230206_225015338.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My wild guess is that any narrow width tube would work OK with wider tyres outside it's kosher spec. but that you would have trouble trying to cram an MTB tube into a thin roadie.

Gwylan

Veteran
The scenario:

I now have several 700c bikes with presta valves, and no tube will work across all the tyres I run.
(I think the range is now 25-40mm)
There is also the stem length issue ... but let's solve one problem at a time...

So, anyone solve this by labelling their spares with the size therein??
Of course, doesn't everyone.

Mostly to avoid chaos that results when out with the management. Did once find I had packed 2 Schrader when I needed a presta, of course.

I have Schrader and she has presta.
Also label those that have been repaired.

Other challenge is that bikes have different size nuts on the wheels. Guess why we don't have q.r anymore.

Then of course need a pump that does both

presta

Guru
I have only one bike, so I don't have an issue with sizes, but i mark all my tyres with valve position and all my tubes with direction of rotation so that they always fit together in the same register. That way I can use the hole in the tube to find the debris in the tyre, or vice versa. (Didn't become necessary until my eyesight started failing.)

Top Bottom