Do you mickle?

Do you mickle?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

Partially, just wipe off the excess for about 3 or 4 minutes after using GT85. I do like a chain that's dry and not messy when i get a visit from the fairy but I'm no slave to my chain. If it wears out Its probably time to buy a new bike :smile:

betty swollocks

large member
German class.........
"Now then, boys and girls. Conjugate the verb to mickle:
all together........"

"ich mickle,
du micklest,
er/sie/es mickest,
wir mickeln,
ihr mickelt,
sie micklert."

Anyone want to do French, Spanish etc.?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
With all bikes except my 'cross bike- I hose, degrease, sponge, dry and relube that one since it gets mud, grit, sand and other stuff attached to it. I've got a routine for that which is pretty quick.

Carefully when doing the fixed, move hand- not chain.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Yes but I need to give my MTB chain a proper good clean as I did't know about Mickling and feel I need to get it to state to Mickle from properly. I remember a April Fool from Sheldon on the proper way to clean a chain by completely stripping every link.

gbb

Legendary Member
Yes and no...been doing a version of it since i was about 12, ...in 1970 :whistle:
Why was 3 in 1 oil so useable then, yet i'm reluctant to use it now ?
Bring back hubs with oiler holes that what i say...i could make a wheel spin faster 40 years ago than you ever can nowadays.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I usually give my equipment a good wipe after a long, dirty ride. Mrs F doesn't like it if I simply wipe my kit on anything, so I use an oily rag. I never used to wipe it much, till I realised it might last longer if I kept it clean.
The same goes for my bicycle chain.

HovR

Über Member
But experimenting on one of the bikes with a minimalist approach you wouldn't like much.

Here's the sacrilege...

With chain life as short as it is - about 1500 miles - I'm seeing if no cleaning and just enough lube applied occasionally to stop it rusting/ seizing up makes any noticeable difference to the life of chain, cassette, chainrings. After 800 miles no noticeable difference from fully Mickled. Experiment continuing.

Out of interest, do you do your own work on your bike, or do you send it to a bike shop?

Even if Mickle'ing the chain didn't extend drivechain life, I'd still continue doing it as working on a nice clean drive chain achieved by the Mickle method is so much nicer than one saturated in oil!

Top Bottom