Do you mickle?

Do you mickle?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
But experimenting on one of the bikes with a minimalist approach you wouldn't like much.

Here's the sacrilege...

With chain life as short as it is - about 1500 miles - I'm seeing if no cleaning and just enough lube applied occasionally to stop it rusting/ seizing up makes any noticeable difference to the life of chain, cassette, chainrings. After 800 miles no noticeable difference from fully Mickled. Experiment continuing.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
My name is Steve and I've been a Mickler for about 6 months now. At first I tried to hide it from family and friends, I was ashamed of what Mickling was turning me into, I'll look at friends running their chains through expensive gadgets while I lowered myself to a rag and lube. Over time I accepted what I become and learnt to embrace the allure of Mickling in all it's simplistic glory. So I stand up before you all and say ..." YES !! I MICKLE AND AM PROUD TO DO SO !!

Thank you giving me this opportunity.

tadpole

I didn't know what it was called, but I've done it this way for a long time, though I do use chain oil on the rag to clean the chain before wiping on the fresh oil, and I also pull an oily baby wipe between each link

tyred

Legendary Member
Many a mickle makes a muckle.

GrasB

Veteran
Yeah but with a cloth that's been lightly sprayed with WD40 & dry lube (the dry lube doesn't take off the old stuff which hasn't flaked off the chain yet).

Just added to my collection of 'mickle cloths' - yet more old cotton t-shirts ! The best !
Worn out linen bed sheets work for me.;)

Top Bottom