Do you prefer flat bars or drop bars and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Flats are perfect ... providing you never cycle into headwind, never ride up any hills, and don't mind putting extra effort in to go the same speed,

I don't find drops any advantage for climbing hills, but they do reduce aerodynamic drag even if you ride on the tops or hoods. Yesterday I did a 19 mile circuit on my Raleigh Royal, that I have previously done on both an MTB and a 3-speed roadster. Despite it being rather windy, I was still at least 1 mph faster measured by elapsed time (no computer) Plus I also rode about another six miles on top of that, and at the end of it felt less tired than when I had previously done just the 19 mile circuit but on flat bars.
Ultimately drops will make you go slightly faster for the same watts, or require less watts to go the same speed as flat bars - even if like me you hardly ever actually use the drops themselves. The gain comes from the narrower hand grip spacings, which means your arms are more tucked in and not sticking out from the side of your body catching the wind. There's a place for both drops and flats, the latter being better for visibility and control on rough ground.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Usually, flat or riser bars with bar ends. Gives me three positions to choose from, which is exactly how many useful positions I have on drop bars. That said, I've been riding a drop bar bike lately and get on perfectly well with it.

mustang1

Guru
I like both but with a preference for drops.

For short journeys to the store or pootling about with family, I'll always for with flatbars and wide comfortable tyres (and on the odd occasion, a long but slower ride). For longer rides it's nearly always on drops.

But recently I've been going off road a lot more and for that I use flatbar MTB.

If I had to have one bike though, it would be drop bars, probably road but may consider gravel.

Reactions: C R

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well I've got 2 bikes with drops, 2 with Bullhorns, 2 with curved 'Roadster' bars (one of which is the Trike), 3 with Flat bars* and a couple with 'Risers'
Horses for courses innit although my favourites are the Bullhorns

* None of them stupidly wide though.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

How about yourself, Mr 1502?
I prefer drop bars I like having the option to change my hand position if my hands get a bit stiff. It is a bit scary at first as it is different but you get used to it.

clid61

Veteran
As a kid in the 70's most of us , who couldn't afford "cowhorns", would turn drops upside down and back to front . I have a lovely curcular scar to the right of my belly button :smile:

icowden

Veteran
I'm a bit of a convert. I used to love my flats, but since I got drops I am enjoying the ability to change positions. I'm not confident enough yet to use the actual drops much but I like switching between the hoods and the tops.

Top Bottom