Do you put your plums in the fridge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3986480, member: 259"]Swarfega's much better straight from the fridge.[/QUOTE]

as is chamois cream.....

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Most things should be brought to room temperature before eating - if they're cold you can't taste them as well.

I don't keep fruit in the fridge (except raspberries/strawberries in the summer). Most vegetables I store in a cool place but not the fridge.

Mrs M

Guru
No fruit in the fridge, except when I chop up a pineapple or melon, but eat them at room temperature.
I don't like cold stuff much and would happily have a tin of Pepsi at room temp.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I don't like plums - they are all hairy...oh wait, that's gooseberries :laugh:

Tin Pot

Guru
My Mrs has started putting the plums in the fridge and when I eat them I get a headache. Now grapes should live in the fridge (or even the freezer) but I think plums are a step too far.

No I don't put my plums in the fridge.

Does she put her baps on the counter?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Plan your eating, and get them out of fridge a few hours before. The rest will last longer in the fridge.

I love the thing you see on soft drinks "tastes best ice cold". Yeah, because it tastes least ice cold.

Edit: ASDA says you should keep tomatoes on the table! http://your.asda.com/news-and-blogs/fridge-cupboard-or-fruit-bowl

The man from ASDA is right BUT by the time tomatoes reach the supermarket it's too late for home storage to have an impact.

Tomatoes straight from the plant have an entirely different flavour from those in the supermarkets. Immediately after picking growers will grade, pack and chill the fruit for transport in chilled vehicles probably to chilled storage at Distrubution Centre.

Chilling breaks down the sugars in tomatoes which give their flavour.

As a general, IMO, rule fruit should be cool and airy. We store most of our veg in a dark cupboard in the porch

Hyslop

Veteran
My Mrs has started putting the plums in the fridge and when I eat them I get a headache. Now grapes should live in the fridge (or even the freezer) but I think plums are a step too far.
You should take your head out of the fridge whilst you are eating the plums,I should imagine being so close to the bright fridge light would give anyone a headache,either that or blinded by the light you are banging your head on the freezer compartment.

Tomatoes [..] are fruit
This is true, but I've never understood why it is controversial. Tomatoes are a fruit that we eat as a vegetable. Kale is a leaf we eat as a vegetable. Peas are seeds we eat as a vegetable. Carrots are roots we eat as a vegetable. Squash are fruit we eat as a vegetable. Cucumber is fruit we eat as a vegetable. Plums are fruit we eat as fruit.

"Fruit" is a botanical term to describe seed bearing produce from plants. "Vegetable" is a word to describe how we eat certain plants or products of plants as savoury. "Fruit" is also a word to describe seed bearing parts of plants we enjoy as sweets.

Top Bottom