Do you ride a road bike on flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
HLaB said:
Just give me a shout then next time you see me; it only takes a moment :becool:

Dont shout at me when Im cycling or there may well be a clipless moment:ohmy:

I am going to persevere with them for now.But if confidence doesnt improve soon they are going.Im sure that for a leisure /fitness type rider such as me the tiny loss of efficiency wont be an issue.

dustystreet

i feel the same way, banjo. i run some M324's on my commuting cross-bike because i found after a few 'moments' in traffic that not being able to put my foot down immediately and almost having not-so-comedy falls in rush-hour traffic, i didn't enjoy it. as soon as i put my M324's on and could go back to wearing trainers for my commute, saving the clipless side for my weekend winter training, i felt much more confident.

i recently had to put my cross-bike into the lbs for a service and had to use my good road-bike for commuting. back to clipless shoes, it felt dodgy for me. so much so i just bought some m324's for that bike as well so if i ever have to use it for commuting again, i don't need to worry about it.

the important point is that YOU have to feel safe when on the roads and in traffic. if using the flat side does that, then go with what makes you feel safer and more likely to enjoy your ride.

defy-one

I know what you mean about giving up with cleats. I have had my clipless moment on day 3 of owning the bike. It just feels natural now and i'm thinking about it less than i was a week ago. I reckon another week or two and i'll have forgotten about normal pedals

daSmirnov

I haven't fell over using SPDs (mtb style), unclipping is just natural, foot in lower position, slide it out and down. Simples, don't even think about it. Had a couple of near misses where the bike leans the opposite way to how I expect and I need to quickly unclip the other foot, but have always saved at the last second.

For long distance rides (say over 40 or 50 miles) I still sometimes use flat pedals as I find them a bit more comfortable. As the balls of my feet can get a bit sore, probably happens due to the smaller nature of mtb cleats compared to road, and the small pedals I use without any supporting material around them like on touring pedals. Or I use flats if I know I've got a fair bit of walking to do, as even with my shoes with fairly recessed cleats they are still slippery and grind away on uneven surfaces.

potsy

Rambler
Only you can decide what's best Banjo,if you feel more comfortable on flats then go with it.
I changed from toe-clips to spd's and took to them very quickly,can't imagine going back to clips now.
p.s. I've had a couple of low speed moments but always managed to un-clip in time(just):smile:
Well, my opinion hasn't changed since my comment in Dec 09 on this thread :biggrin:
Though I have had a couple of moments since where I didn't quite unclip in time :blush:

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I persevered another 2 years after that thread in 09 . Havent used clips of any sort since november 11 ,I havent noticed any appreciable difference in overall speed.I feel much happier in traffic and can walk around normally in cafes /pubs etc.
I drilled the flat side of my 530s and inserted some stainless steel pins to give a bit more grip

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
yes find it a lot easier than spd's

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Ive been toying with the idea of trying some of them on my hybrid since my current pedals need replacing, although im pretty happy with the spikey cage type MTB pedals. Id still want flats for cycle paths and being able to wear normal shoes, but was tempted to try SPDs for the roads. I dont think im going to bother though, I dont think ill see much of an advantage and my feet have never slipped off the pedals because they bite the thin sole of my trainers so well. Maybe if i get a road/tricross for fitness rides ill look into it again :smile:

The M324 are only £30 at some places, but make sure they include the cleats if you need them as some of the ebay ones in particular dont.

Nearly there

Veteran
I used flats until I got used to shifting then switched to Spd's and prefer them and If I use my hardtail which has flats I still do the unclipping motion when stopping out of habit.

hoopdriver

Guru
I like flats, have used flats with or without toe clips for forty years and have no plans to change. I am not worried about getting caught up in SPDs, I just don't like them. I tried hem, had no troubles with them or getting used to thrm, but I just prefer to use flats.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I went through that phase of being nervous going clipless in traffic, but an enforced week of commuting on my road bike when my hybrid was broken got me over it. It's now second nature. So my advice is to persevere, but take care at first.

lulubel

Über Member
I use flats, and have no plans to change (thought about it, and even started what turned into a long discussion on here about it) but finally concluded I liked my flat pedals and didn't feel the need to change them. I also ride in sandals in summer. I think some of the cyclists around here on their expensive carbon bikes are slightly embarrassed to be passed by a very small woman riding a steel bike with flat pedals and wearing sandals.

Since I've been paying more attention to what I do with my feet, I've realised I move them around on the pedals quite a lot. I let my feet slide forward when I'm taking it easy, so the pedal is almost under the arch of my foot, then move them back when I need some more power, and get the pedal right under the ball of my foot. I couldn't do that if I was clipped in.

Top Bottom