Do you ride a road bike on flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
After a couple of clipless moments I decided to use the flat side of my double sided pedals with trainers when going across town in traffic.

Just did 8 mile each way trip into Cardiff ,lots of traffic etc I found it much more relaxed without the clips.Im sure it didnt make any appreciable difference to my speed as was slowing for traffic most of the time anyway my feet didnt slip much on the A530 pedals.

At the moment despite me making a joke about clipless moments I am a little nervous using them on busy roads.

Should I just persevere until they are second nature or keep the road shoes for spins out in the country?Or even just use flat pedals all the time,Im not interested in breaking any speed records ,I bought the Speedster as a fast light bike for enjoyable day out in the country type rides which its going to be great for.I certainly felt more relaxed today.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Keep going with them. You will become more relaxed when it comes second nature to you. I run SPD-SL's on my bikes and have no trouble with them in central london traffic because it's become a part of my ride.

potsy

Rambler
Only you can decide what's best Banjo,if you feel more comfortable on flats then go with it.
I changed from toe-clips to spd's and took to them very quickly,can't imagine going back to clips now.
p.s. I've had a couple of low speed moments but always managed to un-clip in time(just):smile:

gavintc

Guru
With clipless it will become second nature and I know find that even when I cycle short distances in trainers that I still go through the 'unclip' motion.

GrasB

Veteran
Try to unclip early or if you see a problem developing then pedal slightly to one side before clipping in again. It's what I tend to do around town.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
+1

It's like falling off a horse - you have to get back on again.

SPDs are like second nature to me now, after using them for a commute 3-4 days a week. As you get more confident, clip and unclip more, so it becomes more instinctive.

Chrisc

Guru
I've got the same pedals and used the flat side last week when my knee gave out so I could get feet to the floor quicker. Did feel odd not being clipped in now I'm used to it. BUT if you're happy with the flats you have to go with those. Whatever suits you sir!

Persevere banjo, as people have suggested the clipping in/ out becomes second nature. I now prefer being clipped in, to me clips feel more secure in traffic. I like to keep the stronger right foot always clipped in at stops, that way I can easily put the right crank to 2 O'clock'ish and push off an that control makes me feel better in traffic.

snorri

Legendary Member
Flats are handier for utility cycling, set off with any shoes just when the will takes you. Toe clips can be handy on one side, then you can pull the pedal up if the need arises. I don't find myself drawn to clipless at all.:evil:

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i am seriously considering using flat pedals for my commute during the frosty mornings. not because of clipping in and out, but because the look cleats are slippy enough on clear roads.

i don't want to have to put a foot down on a slippy section only to find it slipping out from underneath me.

my commute is mainly open country roads, so any other time clip-less is best for me

bonj2

it's the fact they're single sided that's freaking you out, ditch the flats and just get some M520s and have done with it, then you won't be fretting about should i use the flats or not, 'cos you won't be able to, but you won't have to fret 'cos there won't be the constant faffing about of flipping it over onto the right side to clip into

Jane Smart

The Queen
HLaB said:
Persevere banjo, as people have suggested the clipping in/ out becomes second nature. I now prefer being clipped in, to me clips feel more secure in traffic. I like to keep the stronger right foot always clipped in at stops, that way I can easily put the right crank to 2 O'clock'ish and push off an that control makes me feel better in traffic.

Can you come round and give me lessons after Christmas please? :biggrin:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
the anorak said:
i am seriously considering using flat pedals for my commute during the frosty mornings. not because of clipping in and out, but because the look cleats are slippy enough on clear roads.

i don't want to have to put a foot down on a slippy section only to find it slipping out from underneath me.

my commute is mainly open country roads, so any other time clip-less is best for me
At the risk of going slightly off thread ..... anorak - have you tried the Look "Grip" cleats, (Keo), they have little rubbery pieces which make them more or less non slip - you can even walk safely over a tiled floor wearing your bike shoes. Of course, they are more expensive ......

Top Bottom