Do you ride a road bike on flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KateK

I use flat pedals too, I think about using toe clips but as yet haven't got round to it. My average speed is only in the 16s so I never go much faster than about 19 on the flat and I wear walking trainers as they give me just enough grip. It encourages me to use my ankles too for more power rather than knackering my knees . They're fine on the distances I do (usually 30-50 miles) I too quite like overtaking wide boys on my steel bike ... and then overtaking them again when they jump the lights to get past me..

jim55

Guru
i found on flats my foot moved around and my heels of my shoes were rubbing on the crankarms and stuff ,the spds i think are better kinda hold my feet in the right position and gen feel more secure iv got the right one tightened up (float )and the left quite loose as that unclips at junctions and stuff ,never unclip the right until im getting off the bike

hoopdriver

Guru
I went through that phase of being nervous going clipless in traffic, but an enforced week of commuting on my road bike when my hybrid was broken got me over it. It's now second nature. So my advice is to persevere, but take care at first.
My preference for flats has nothing to do with being nervous in traffic. I tred clipless, had no troubles with them whatsoever, but just ddn't like them. I like being able to get on my bike and ride, in whatever shoes I am wearing. I did not notice any benefit in using clipless either. And finally, I like my bicycle pedals to look like bicycle pedals, not gadgets. I am a classicist that way. Ultimately I think my reasons for staying with flats are aesthetic ones. I just prefer the look of a bicycle with quill pedals and toe clips...

Hip Priest

Veteran
My preference for flats has nothing to do with being nervous in traffic. I tred clipless, had no troubles with them whatsoever, but just ddn't like them. I like being able to get on my bike and ride, in whatever shoes I am wearing. I did not notice any benefit in using clipless either. And finally, I like my bicycle pedals to look like bicycle pedals, not gadgets. I am a classicist that way. Ultimately I think my reasons for staying with flats are aesthetic ones. I just prefer the look of a bicycle with quill pedals and toe clips...

Cool. Each to their own I say. I'd just experienced the same apprehension as the OP regarding clipless so wanted to reassure him.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think with flat pedals getting a grippy soled pair of trainers is the secret. I have one pair of trainers that grip the pedals like glue in all weathers another similar pair are hopeless.

It may be coincidental but a nagging knee pain I used to get after all day rides has dissapeared since I went back to flat pedals.

I still have the shoes ,cleats and pedals gathering dust in my wardrobe but at the moment at least I dont see me going back to them.

cyana13

I have just got myself some SPD-SL pedals and shoes for them because my feet were slipping. I felt quite enthusiastic about them until I felt and injured my knee :sad:. So now I am still in doubts whether to get better flat pedals/shoes or to keep trying with the clip-in pedals.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have just got myself some SPD-SL pedals and shoes for them because my feet were slipping. I felt quite enthusiastic about them until I felt and injured my knee :sad:. So now I am still in doubts whether to get better flat pedals/shoes or to keep trying with the clip-in pedals.

As others have said, it is all down to how you feel about them. I never liked clipless and use DMR V12 or V8,s which are flat pedals with little spikes to grip the soles of your shoes then you can wear trainers, etc with rubbery soles and you get a really good grip.

Col5632

Guru
I've recently when clipless on my hybrid and wish i had done it earlier, only hassle is putting shoes on that i cant wear when not cycling but its a small hassle :becool:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
if you really like the idea of clipless, the aesthetics or need/believe that your cycling performance requires attachment then you need to stick with them.

If not then there are plenty of options out there for flat pedals and shoe or even toeclip choices. My better bikes all have Superstar Nanotech pedals and, if anything, there's too much grip for road riding. But that's easily fixed as you can remove some of the pins. Footwear wise then I will cycle in almost anything from a utility perspective but if setting out just to ride then:-

FiveTen - I have the Impact Lows plus a couple of pairs of their Freeride skate style shoes - very grippy soles

Teva - after buying and returning several shoes I finally settled on their Teva Mush Frio Lace canvas shoes. I wanted something really light and cool for Summer use on long rides. These seem to have enough of a sole to stop the pins on the pedals being felt and certainly meet the light and airy requirements.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I did not transition well to clipless, it took some work (I was quite nervous following an early clipless moment, so I rode laps of my apartment lobby practising), but now, I feel marginally unsafe when not clipped in.

Occasionally I will ride somewhere local with normal shoes/trainers on standing on my clipless pedals, which can be done and with marginal discomfort despite many people saying road pedals are awkward for small trips. They are not awkward, YOU are awkward!

hoopdriver

Guru
I did not transition well to clipless, it took some work (I was quite nervous following an early clipless moment, so I rode laps of my apartment lobby practising), but now, I feel marginally unsafe when not clipped in.

Occasionally I will ride somewhere local with normal shoes/trainers on standing on my clipless pedals, which can be done and with marginal discomfort despite many people saying road pedals are awkward for small trips. They are not awkward, YOU are awkward!
That's a little rich. There are plenty of models of clipless pedals that are not at all conducive to being ridden in street shoes; sure it probably CAN be done but so can a lot of things that nobody in real life would do because it is so awkward and unwieldy.

Top Bottom