Do you ride a road bike on flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
They are not awkward, YOU are awkward!

I beg to differ, if we're engineering things for our use then they should match with zero faff. Probably the biggest single factor that caused me to abandon my conversion to clipless, having bought all the kit etc. Was the sudden realisation that I couldn't just grab a bike out of the garage and go.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
This might be an idiot question but are all pedal axles the same? I am hoping to get my new road bike next week and don't want to go clipless (yet!) so am looking at these pedals, but all the reviews go on about mountain biking

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1074

Axle Size is 9/16 if it helps.

Ideally I want a pedal that has the pins on it as I hope they will give better grip so if anyone can recommend something I would be grateful

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This might be an idiot question but are all pedal axles the same? I am hoping to get my new road bike next week and don't want to go clipless (yet!) so am looking at these pedals, but all the reviews go on about mountain biking

Ideally I want a pedal that has the pins on it as I hope they will give better grip so if anyone can recommend something I would be grateful

Yes, just bought another pair myself. Love them.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I beg to differ, if we're engineering things for our use then they should match with zero faff. Probably the biggest single factor that caused me to abandon my conversion to clipless, having bought all the kit etc. Was the sudden realisation that I couldn't just grab a bike out of the garage and go.

Why couldn't you? I can and do.

Note I am refering to occasional short journeys here, not a regular thing or long rides. You should tailor your pedal choice to suit your most prevalent riding type/style, i.e. if you are a roadie who might need to ride to buy milk a mile down the road twice a week in your slippers, you can get by perfectly fine with road pedals, unless you choose to ride in ballet shoes you probably won't even suffer any discomfort.

That's a little rich. There are plenty of models of clipless pedals that are not at all conducive to being ridden in street shoes; sure it probably CAN be done but so can a lot of things that nobody in real life would do because it is so awkward and unwieldy.

There are some particular designs that would be particularly awkward, note I said road pedals, not talking something like an Egg Beater here. A standard road pedal, Look, Time, Shimano etc, even speedplay can be jumped on and ridden for short journey's perfectly adequitly.

It really is not particularly awkward or wieldy.

HovR

Über Member
Occasionally I will ride somewhere local with normal shoes/trainers on standing on my clipless pedals, which can be done and with marginal discomfort despite many people saying road pedals are awkward for small trips. They are not awkward, YOU are awkward!

I use Shimano M530's (SPD's) on my best bike and find that with the saddle set at the correct height for cycling clipless, it is too high when wearing normal shoes and I have to rock my hips uncomfortably.

That said I don't find SPD clipless inconvenient at all. When I'm leaving the house I'm going to put on shoes anyway, it doesn't make much difference whether they're my cycling shoes or trainers.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Why couldn't you? I can and do.

It would be a compromise, I accept that there are alternate compromises by sticking with flat pedals and eschewing the virtues of clipless. However those are only compromises for some of us, if your abilities or future desires don't require pedal attachment then a lot of that compromise just doesn't exist. As for feet slipping or lack of power all I can say is that has never been an issue for me.

Psyclist

Über Member

Great pedals, I had some V8's on my XC bike, also had the Wellgo equivalents, but the issue with the Wellgos is they don't have a grease port for servicing. Not sure if the V12's do, but I'd go for the V8's....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...le&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

lulubel

Über Member
As for feet slipping or lack of power all I can say is that has never been an issue for me.

One of my feet bounced off the pedal when I was climbing a particularly rocky section on my MTB today. I was just thinking, "This is a spot where clipless would be really useful," and my foot was suddenly airborne .... followed by a bit of weaving, trying to regain control, then the foot was quickly on the ground! Trying to get going again was a bit - er - interesting too (although I'm aware clipless would not have helped with this).

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Great pedals, I had some V8's on my XC bike, also had the Wellgo equivalents, but the issue with the Wellgos is they don't have a grease port for servicing. Not sure if the V12's do, but I'd go for the V8's....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...le&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

Cheers, I ordered the V12 from Wiggle, the syringe and grease on the V8 scared me off, the V12 as far as I can see are sealed so shouldn't need greasing.

Another stupid question, when people say grease the pedal before fitting, they mean around the thread don't they so it is easier to undo if need be?

Psyclist

Über Member
Cheers, I ordered the V12 from Wiggle, the syringe and grease on the V8 scared me off, the V12 as far as I can see are sealed so shouldn't need greasing.

Another stupid question, when people say grease the pedal before fitting, they mean around the thread don't they so it is easier to undo if need be?

Yup, always grease the thread. It was a bugger to remove my old pedals when I didn't.

RWright

Guru
I would try to get used to the SPD-SL pedals in non-congested areas. It takes a little getting used to. If they are hurting your knee you may want to try seat or cleat adjustments.

If I am going to the store or somewhere I don't want to wear cleats I just wear regular walking/running shoes on my SPD-SL pedals. I would not want to do that if it is wet or if I have big hills to climb, but if you are not doing anything too extreme it works fine without cycle shoes. However, I don't go much over 10 or 12 miles without my cycle shoes, normally more like 5 miles or less.

Top Bottom