Do you say "hello" to passing cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Why the devil not?

Lozz360

Veteran
When I’m commuting, passing cyclists never wave or nod, so I don’t bother. At the weekend, I normally go for a ride Saturday afternoon and I wave at all passing cyclists but only if they have drop handlebars like me. Of these cyclists about 70% will acknowledge with a wave or a nod. It sounds weirdly discriminatory but I found that riders of MTBs and hybrids never wave or nod so I don’t. However, yesterday in a change of routine to avoid the midday heat and get back for a certain football match on the TV, I went out at 7:30am. Totally different! It seemed like everyone wanted to say hello. Cyclists of any type of machine and joggers too all either waved, said hello, nodded or combination of all three.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I don't know what it's like in the UK these days but as soon as kids in France can cope with cycling without stabilizers, they're given 4 basic rules of cycling - this is how to pedal, this is how to steer, this is how to brake - and you have to say 'bonjour' to all the other cyclists. And then they're let out on Green Ways (traffic-free cycle trails) with supervising adults.

I passed a gaggle of around a dozen 4 or 5-year olds a couple of weeks back, and every single one of the little charmers said 'bonjour' to me.

There's hope for the human race. Probably

Here its normal to say bon jour to EVERYBODY you see !

Not so much here in Norway but I prefer the friendly and informal (Aussie) G'day.

If I see a fully-laden tourer then I'll give a greeting of encouragement, whether driving, riding or walking. If they've stopped I'll try and engage in connversation to see if they're OK, need directions or whatever.

Most of the cyclists I see here ride in groups with their clubs and are far too serious a cyclist to waste words or effort on a strange lone rider, but that doesn't bother me.

I say hello to animals I see in the fields and 'feel' a reciprocation. :smile:

tom73

Guru
A mostly give a quick hello quite like seeing a road empty and just the odd cyclist passing me by I've found some do some don't. As for which will and won't all done to who they are not want they wear or ride. If they are bigheaded or smug they will be the same on or off a bike. Out of the 6 Past this morning 3 said hello.

Though i say hello to most people I see when out on the bike only this morning I passed a few horse riders and yes they said hello back.

OP
OP
R

Rowano

Maybe engine on here is just a super friendly bunch then!!

I used to cycle in the south West ( Bristol, Cardiff etc) and found a lot didn't say anything. Except for a charming MTB nob who shouted ''dick" at me when I stopped in front of him at a red light!

Now in Edinburgh and mostly people say hello. Try cycling in Glasgow with the super friendly folk over the and before you know it you're enjoying a pint with them :cheers:

Kajjal

Guru
Round our way most cyclists say hello or wave weakly due to being exhausted. There is not much commuting going on so most people cycle for leisure.

I also mountain bike a lot down canals, forestry, and various other trails, again people are very friendly.

In a much more urban area I guess it would be very different.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Almost always a smile coupled with a hello and/or a nod. I do find that the majority of 'contact' is initiated by the other party when Im on the trike. I dont beat myself up if no-one acknowledges me.

Top Bottom