Do you say "hello" to passing cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Here its normal to say bon jour to EVERYBODY you see !

I work in France and it seems to be rude not to. The few times I am distracted and don't, I can hear mutterings about how odd English people are. The words 'le perfide Albion' seem to feature somewhere....

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I say Hi to everybody :smile: including car drivers ;)

mick1836

Über Member
Regardless of whether I'm riding either my MTB or road bike I always wave and or say morning or hello however when I don't get any response I wish I'd given them the
sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.png

Alan O

Über Member
Usually a nod if just passing, often a "morning/afternoon/thanks" if one of us is slowing/moving to let the other pass. Same, certainly, with horse riders, often with walkers/kids/dogs. Usually reciprocated.

Sharky

Guru
I once called out "good morning" to a very old gent walking along the side of the road.

He replied "I woke up. It's a good morning"!

Milzy

Guru
After I lost my mum I didn’t say hello to them for a while. Usually after 100 miles I don’t feel like it either. Loads are ignorant around here so I try to gauge them first, if they look like happy souls I’ll nod/wave etc.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Always say morning or hello and mostly i find it's people in all matching kit ie bike and clothes who normally dont reply especially when i a out on one of my older steelies

I find that it's generally the roadies and the old-school steel riders who tend to nod or say morning. The majority of local riders are on suspension BSO's and they tend to ignore any greeting, so I no longer bother with them. I suspect a lot are only cyclists under duress (skint/driving ban/not old enough to drive) and would much rather be travelling by some other form of transport.

johnnyb47

Guru
I always give a nod or say hello to passing cyclists. Virtually all touring cyclist say hello back as well as the vast majority of roadies. The ones that tend to ignore me are the roadies who are riding flat out and in full concentration (which is perfectly understandable). Just tonight I was taking a breather on my bike, and a roadie came and stopped to see if I was ok or if I had any problems. Its always nice to see a good community amongst fellow cyclists just in case they need help.

pjd57

Veteran
Usually a nod.

If I am on my work bike, a hybrid, some of the dropbar cyclists don't respond though.
On my CX they seem more inclined to acknowledge my presence.

Or maybe I just imagined it.

Top Bottom