Do you say "hello" to passing cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rowano

If so, how, and does the gear the cyclist is in make a difference? If close enough I normally mutter a passing 'morning', or 'how do', or at the end of a ride when I'm nackered more of a grunt regardless of how 'serious' the cyclist looks. I see quite a few head nods or hand waves but also a lot who don't acknowledge a fellow cyclist. So, what do you do?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
All of the above acknowledgments, but if I see a cyclist going the other way while I’m climbing a hill, I’m sure it comes out more as a “cheesy grin”.

Nonethewiser

Yes, I wave, nod, say good morning or whatever to all other cyclists, I care not what they are riding - I'm a roadie in lycra. Around these parts the vast majority of other cyclists return the greeting. Of course some do not but I don't take it personally, maybe they're shy/had a bad day/think the waving thing is a bit naff or whatever. I went out for a lovely 25 mile spin with my old mate this morning on some nice quiet country roads that, for once, were populated by more cyclists than cars and I think without exception every other cyclist acknowledged us. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

pawl

Legendary Member
Fourteen cyclist coming the opposite way,only one acknowledged my wave.Gave it up unless they acknowledge first.Miserable ………….

snorri

Legendary Member
In my home territory.......Always, unless it's a stranger.
When touring....................Always when the oncoming cyclist is laden with four panniers and a bar bag. I never notice any others.

The above may not be strictly true.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I wish all I meet a hearty 'good morning/afternoon/ evening'(choose appropriate) except 'Plastic Hair' and 'Lipstick Lil', I've tried but but nope, no response...
I find the vast majority of cyclists do the same and any walkers reply in kind...'

Top Bottom