Do you suffer from GAS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't have GAS for bike stuff, although I did buy a new ebike this year to replace my 12 year old one.

But I do get GAS where musical instruments are concerned. I haven't been so successful in resisting it. Hence I have 2 acoustic guitars, 2 electric guitars, 3 ukuleles, 2 electric ukuleles, a tenor guitar and a bass guitar. Plus half a dozen amplifiers and sundry microphones and music stands......

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That’s so last year . My method stop bike get off remove and turn back Wheel, replace back wheel . :laugh:

The problem with that is that if you have to do it in the snow, the butterfly nuts are difficult with frozen hands.

If only someone would invent a mechanism to enable the wheel to be released quickly.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I checked my spreadsheet recently to see how much I'd spent on cycling this year - £23! Mid you I have been stockpiling stuff over the last few years so it's about time I didn't spend anything. This is all on consumables though, I'm not into buying the latest gear, in fact, I'd be surprised if I ever bought another bike and have been slimming down the fleet this year.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think I have Gadget Acquisition Syndrome. I always like to have the latest GPS and techy stuff. And I'm forever buying what are generally called "accessories" - pumps and lights and bits and pieces, new tools, stuff like that.

On the bike itself, components normally get replaced when they are worn out, and when I do that I like to try new and fancy (and yeah, expensive) things. I treated myself to brand new 11S 105 a few years back when my SRAM Apex bit the dust. I've ventured into tubeless tyres. Who knows, my next drive train may be electronic ... but that's a few years off.

I'm not into N+1, I have three bikes: A nice bike, a Brompton and a crappy turbo/emergency bike. I'm not minded to get any more.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
I like.reading about new products and services but I do not care about upgrading bikes or components unless there's a benefit to me (and I want to depart with mullah).

I know my next bike will be Di2 + hydro but i don't really feel the need just yet and much prefer the simplicity (actually, familiarity) of a featureless bike.

My bike came with 106 but over the years it's had a mix of tiagra and 105 and ultegra parts and only recently have inmoved back to 105 parts again (as the old tiagra wore out). I prefer keeping the bikes in similar spec to when they were new.

There are some bikes I want because the marketing has got to me (spesh e-mtb) but so far have been resisting.

Big John

Guru
Not really as I don't go looking for new things very often.

I suffer from SAS (Scrap Acquisition Syndrome) where I can never pass a skip without checking for abandoned bikes or parts and always go around collecting any old cycle related stuff that might be useful one day.

I work at a SAS (Scrap Acquisition Site) which provides fixes for those suffering from SAS (Scrap Acquisition Syndrome). My bikes, with one exception, are made from WASP (Workplace Acquired Scrap Parts). If it worked for Obree it's good enough for me. I'm now 66 and I don't think the latest gizmos will make a difference to my rides. I've reached the age of contentment, which is proper handy now I'm on a pension 😁

I am a bit guilty of GAS . I recently bought a second hand Carrera Zelos . I thought I would try out the kiddies bike with an enormous seat post to see what all the fuss was about . There are some things that I will admit too which I quite like . The brake /gear levers are quite good although I don't like the way in which the brake lever wil slip to the side when I need it ! I don't like the non standardisation of parts though! The reason why I have so many old steel bikes is down to the interchangeability of parts.
I now see that horizontal crossbars are asking a comeback .

Top Bottom