Do you suffer from GAS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I also think the n+1 rule is stupid, it's cost me a fortune.

DogmaStu

I like new gear for sure.

I do get good value though I think given how much time I spend riding a bike.

I have done over 12000 miles each year for the past 4 years so my bikes get see a lot of usage; that’s all training and racing too so hard on them.

That said, easy to maintain - chains, cassettes, chainrings and other consumables wear out. Clothing wears out, even Castelli, Santini, Assos, Rapha etc.

My oldest MTB bike is 22 years. Looks nearly new. Hardly used though. My 4 year old road bike on the other hand has seen a lot of tough miles and a few crashes, one at 40mph+. Still fine thanks to good maintenance.

But liking new gear I do spend more than I ‘need’ to and I’ve bought 2 new bikes in the last month.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You should always have a prime number of bikes. Then they can’t be divided.

But one isn't a prime number.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I get very attached to what I've got, and go to lengths to avoid changing it. Nearly everything has been changed on my 22 year old bike, almost all of it because it was worn out.

My bike is younger than that, about 10 years, but all that remains of the original is the frame, forks, seatpost, mudguards and brakes (but I have some new brakes ready to fit when I get round to it).

Most of the replacements were due to things being worn out or damaged, but plenty have been due to me just fiddling with things and wanting to try out something new or snazzy.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Although I have too many bikes, 8, acquired from 1968 onwards, it should be 15 really. Some I sold, several were stolen, my weakness now is tools. This happened slowly about 20 years back. Before then I managed very well with the basics, now I have got third hand tools, cable pullers, professional cable cutters, work stands, the list goes on. I don't think I need therapy yet, but I've just been looking at a new chain splitting tool, when the one I have is perfectly good.

Top Bottom