Do you suffer from lack of cycling ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Over the last couple of week's i have done less than 50 miles on the bike in total :angry:

I don't mind riding in the rain , nero zero temperature's , sub 20+ mph winds . I even have a choice of winter bikes ready to go .

Does anybody else get down or depressed when not cycling on a regular basis ?

I refuse to go the indoor trainer route as it's just not the same

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
:hugs:

Just go out for a short one if you don't feel up to much. :bicycle:

And yes those turbo wotnots are dire :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My own bike hasn't moved an inch for over a week.
I was hoping to take it out and really test the Marathon Winters over the moors when I was struck by a rotten bug which has seen me bed ridden for 3 days, coughing and sniffing and then lost my voice.
I'm dying to go out but I really don't want to aggravate the bug. Maybe at the weekend if I'm feeling better.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

I suffered with depression about 10 years ago & for a while was on meds, but I found out the more I cycled the less I needed the meds. Haven't taken any meds at all for about 7 years now, but I do need to cycle regularly otherwise I turn into a right grouch & start to feel down. I used to hate turbo sessions, but kind of got my head round it now & sometimes actually enjoy it & it certainly beats sitting at home doing nothing. I'd rather be cycling on the turbo than not at all & back on meds :okay:

wonderloaf

Veteran
Due to the weather I haven't been out on my usual Sunday morning ride for the last couple of weekends and last Sunday was getting a bit fractious and restless, which didn't go down well with Mrs W. Tried getting my fix on the turbo trainer but it's just not the same as the real thing, can't wait for the decent weather appear again!
I don't mind the rain and wind but since breaking my hip on black ice a couple of years ago any temperature below ~5°C is a no no!

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm a classic early hobby excessive..
Go mad at it then it tails off..
Cycling seems to be something I enjoy but I do need to find time.. And I often do.

If I can't due to injury I get well pissed off..

PK99

Legendary Member
I suffered with depression about 10 years ago & for a while was on meds, but I found out the more I cycled the less I needed the meds. Haven't taken any meds at all for about 7 years now, but I do need to cycle regularly otherwise I turn into a right grouch & start to feel down. I used to hate turbo sessions, but kind of got my head round it now & sometimes actually enjoy it & it certainly beats sitting at home doing nothing. I'd rather be cycling on the turbo than not at all & back on meds :okay:

See:

https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/behavioural-activation-therapy-treating-depression/

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
:hugs:

Just go out for a short one if you don't feel up to much. :bicycle:

And yes those turbo wotnots are dire :okay:

Yeah it's surprising how even a couple of miles can help and yes i can do those but there is nothing like having a good 2 - 3 hours by myself on the road knocking some miles out , no matter what machine is being ridden .

Sharky

Guru
A bit seasonal with me. After the weekly evening 10's come to an end, my cycling starts to tail off and by Nov/dec, there are too many distractions.
But come 1st jan, it' s back on the bike in earnest and if I miss a week due to bad weather I start to get a bit down. The TT season for me starts in march and my target is to achieve 500 miles before the first. It's a fairly low target, but I tend to do short rides so for me it is a stretch target.

Last edited:

Yes... Humpf.

Don't work well with spikes I imagine.

I accidentally managed to do 35k today, so I'm a bit more cheerful. Thank goodness for spiked tyres though.

I found the sad remains of a bike someone had clearly pancaked on with the gears damaged by impact: the tyres were semi-slicks. I propped the bike up against a tree and was slipping as I walked: they wouldn't have stood a chance to keep upright.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I do miss it but my desire NOT to cycle in the cold/wind/rain overcomes the problem.
I do use the exercise bike on a daily basis......not for long but maybe 3-5 miles at a good pace. Cant say I enjoy it but (for me) it beats the alternative.
I will start going out again soon though for a few 10-20 milers.
I really cant wait for spring

Top Bottom