Do you tell your partner everything....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
About your cycling purchases...

Just wondered if people tell their O.H about all their purchases, I tend to tell her if its essential (and obvious) if its not so obvious (and possibly not essential) I tend not to bother her with the details.

Its not that I'm under the thumb (much) but she thinks we are more skint than we actually are, and it would possibly involve lots eye rolling and tutting.

Just wondered if other people had the same approach (and dont worry she's not a member of cyclechat)

Lee_M

Guru
My wife knows about everything I buy because it usually turns up at the doorstep or I walk in the house with it.

She doesnt care what I spend my money on as long as it isnt cheap women and cheap booze (champagne is fine as long as I bring it home) because it's my money, and I have the same view about her and her money - as long as what she buys doesnt clutter up the place when I could fill it with bikes :laugh:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes/No. I am going to answer in the terms of do I discuss purchases with my partner, rather than do I tell her.

If I need new brake blocks, I need new brake blocks, if I need new tyres, I need new tyres, there is no discussion to be had, I won't invoke a discussion re should I or should I not purchase them, I will just do it, I won't do it secretly, I will do it as and when I feel like it, whether she is sat next to me, or whether I am at work on my lunch break.

If it is a major purchase, I may discuss this with my partner and ask her opinion. But she doesn't allow/disallow the purchases.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Hi Rob3rt, I agree with you on essentials if you need them you need them, as I use the bike for commuting it saves us serious petrol money (she doesn't drive so car just does shopping and weekend trips) so needs maintaining, I will be honest though I tend not to bother her about upgrades and non essentials, as long as I (we) can afford them we dont have a joint account and pay about half the bills each but I don't burden her with more of the household budget so I can buy stupid things.

AndyRM

XOXO
Nope. But then I don't expect her to tell me whenever she buys a new piece of running gear.

Occasionally we have a "You spent how much?!" (goes both ways) exchange of views, but these are rare and usually end with the most useful phrase my old man ever taught me: "Yes dear."

chqshaitan

Guru
this is a similar discussion as having joint accounts, and the pros/cons with both paying their salaries into it.

Depends very much on the individuals and what they are comfortable with.

In my circumstances, we don't have a joint account and she does not ask what I spend my money on.

There are far worse things to spend money on then biking bits(within reason), and its a good hobby fitness wise, so every penny spent reaps multiple benefits imo :smile:

OP
OP
simon the viking
this is a similar discussion as having joint accounts, and the pros/cons with both paying their salaries into it.

Depends very much on the individuals and what they are comfortable with.

In my circumstances, we don't have a joint account and she does not ask what I spend my money on.

There are far worse things to spend money on then biking bits(within reason), and its a good hobby fitness wise, so every penny spent reaps multiple benefits imo :smile:
I agree with you on worse things to spend my money on, I'm not a saint but I don't smoke, only drink a little (odd bottle wine shared with other half) and only do lottery (3 quid a week) in respect to gambling - no online poker or bookies accounts here!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Yes, I tell Arch about every purchase for the bikes as she would be interested, I want to share, mostly it is small trivial stuff that is fun, often it isn't a purchase so much as a think I have made.

I tend not to tell her. Not because I'm being secret or underhand, but because the answer will always be 'Its up to you'. She's knows I'm not going to be too frivolous and most of what I get, I need.

Of course the above goes out the window when it's about buying a new bike. Then it's a discussion based around her argument of 'How much? Why do you need that' and my strong counterpoint based around 'because I do'. :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Depends on how boring the purchase is ... for example he doesn't need to know about a bottle of chain lubrication, but I did ring him before I went to the LBS this week to check whether he had the part before I went (not to get the purchase ok'd). In fact he is more likely to tell me to buy something if it helps me, whereas I might look around for an alternative.

Top Bottom