Do you use "social media" - you know Facebook, blogs, twitter and all that?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Occasional Facebook user, I have an account but rarely use it, when I do go on it I usually find my home page is swamped by my sons postings, he's on facebook most of the time.

Chutzpah

Über Member
On facebook but use it a lot less than I used to.

I have a blog that is updated very sporadically (mainly to moan about something)

On Linkedin, but only for work reasons

And on twitter, which takes up a whole chunk of my life. For me, there's quite a few interesting people on there, including very helpful cyclists who are always around for advice.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I love technology that makes my life easier. So remote access to my office has saved me full days at weekends - during busy periods i would just "pop in" for an hour, which would inevitably become a day!! Now I can do these odd things at any time. My iPhone is superb because I can do so much wherever I may be but I'm not in love with it as some folk are.

My cycle club uses twitter to keep us all updated but I don't really understand how to use it. That's really because I'm not interested in Twittering.

I have a Facebook account which occasionally proves useful for finding people I'd lost contact with. Great for overseas friends. On my last cycle tour I used the iPhone to upload photos and thoughts which people said they enjoyed. That's the most extensive use I've made of facebook. My wife spends a lot of time on there, usually while watching TV. Have to say I find that very irritating as she used to shout at the kids for doing the exact same thing!!!! This forum and an unofficial MB for Blackburn Rovers are the only forums I read regularly.

Steve H

Large Member
Facebook - good for staying connected to friends - photos, what you are up to etc.

Twitter - Is very good for getting a feel for what famous people are up to. E.g. I follow Team Sky and quite a few of the HTC Columbia team - good for hearing their opinions on how races have gone. Also follow CyclingPlus and BikeRadar, which is good for looking out for equipment reviews etc. Although the amount of information in a "tweet" is very small. More often it is simply a headline with a link through to a photograph or website where more info is available if you are interested.

byegad

Legendary Member
Too many security scares for me. They seem to demand too many personal details for comfort.

Why do they need anything more than a forum? Well maybe they have a use for the details.

GringoMan

Facebook is really addictive! But as I live abroad it is the only way to stay in touch with my old friends from home. Twitter is really annoying and disturbing.:tongue:

Keith Oates

Janner
Never used facebook or twitter so can't comment on their usefulness, CC is my main internet site although I do have others I look at sometimes but a thing called work also curtails the time I have to spare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have and use facebook, as a student it was the best way of keeping in touch with friends, being able to organise things and keep in touch with people who'd left uni and moved on to other places.

as an ex student I now use it to keep in touch with the many friends i made at uni, plan meet ups and have a quick nosey on people's news

via facebook I have found out, in this last week alone

1 friend has landed his dream job at aardman animation
2 friends have had their baby boy, mum is in for observation but doing well
had 1 save the date for a wedding - invite in the post
seen photos from the 3 weddings we've been to this year
had news of an engagement between two friends who are in australia

also keeping track of a couple of friends in iraq, afganistan, sudan and india (both forces and aid workers)

i am not surprised to have learnt that in some countries who have only recently started to be 'online' they have skipped e-mail and have gone straight to facebook as a form of online communication.

I will however stop using it if my mum ever joins!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I will however stop using it if my mum ever joins!

Why?

So far my two eldest children are friends with me ... I make sure I don't post anything embarrassing on their pages.... and don't watch their pages like a hawk either. And just occasionally I post something excluding them ... like the time I dyed one of their brand new t-shirts pink in the wash and needed quick recommendations for how to fix it - without them knowing.

Top Bottom